• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WT7100CW LG Washer - Loud metal bang during first run

j9811

Premium Member
Model Number
WT7100CW
Brand
LG
Hi all,

Just yesterday, I got the LG WT7100CW washer from Home Depot. Right after installation, the delivery dude started the Speed Wash cycle (empty drum) and left. Noticed by accident: around 5 minutes before the end of the cycle, during the spin, the washer produced a metal bang, as if you hit sheet metal with a big spoon. The cycle continued and finished normally. I did several loads later (normal, bedding, speed wash) to test this thing and everything appears to be working fine without any banging. My thinking is that it was just mild rearrangement of the drum metal from temperature change and centrifugal force applied for the first time. Checked the manual, nothing on such an occurrence. Home Depot gives only 48 hrs for any replacements without going into the warranty repair business. Do I keep it or not?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I don't know why it banged, but all us techs here recommend Speed Queen, Maytag, and Whirlpool washing machines, is there a reason why you chose LG over those other brands?

Jake

j9811

Premium Member
Consumer Reports. The paid version claims to have done their own testing and collects statistics on repairs. At the end of the day, it rates the brands you mentioned at the very bottom in terms of reliability and a bunch of other factors, so go figure...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately, Consumer Reports don't do service calls day in and day out to customers homes like we techs do.:)

Testing machines in a controlled environment like they do doesn't tell the real truth.

The least brands that need repair are Speed Queen, Maytag, and Whirlpool.:)

The most brands that need repair are GE, Samsung, LG, Frigidaire.

Jake

j9811

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I guess I should have asked here before buying... At this point, this is all pretty funny. I reported the issue to Home Depot, they suggested I chat with LG to confirm that this is not normal. LG tech asked me "do you know what a pendulum is?" and said that the washer might be out of balance. I checked with a crappy level on my phone, it's at 0 degrees along the width and something like -0.5deg along depth. Did another empty speed wash cycle to recreate the conditions for the first bang -- no banging. It's making clanking sounds when the impeller does its thing and vibrates during the spin, but I suppose that's normal.

I know for a fact that Home Depot will not replace for another brand and I guess I will have to accept my destiny -- the only question is whether I want the washer replaced with another WT7100... All comments are appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unless the installation instructions said there will be a loud bang when you first run it, then I'd at least exchange it for another LG WT7100.

Jake

j9811

Premium Member
Thanks, I'll try! :) Can't see anything in the manual about banging... While that's obviously what she said, the LG dude went on about leveling. Here's a photo. Does this look poorly leveled?
IMG_20200301_154545.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Poorly Leveled?

It looks Perfectly Leveled to me.:)

Jake