• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW4800BQ1 Whirlpool washer won’t agitate but does spin

Elorahd

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4800BQ1
Brand
Whirlpool
My top load washer won’t agitate. It spins fine and only goes one way and not the other, like it’s supposed to. I took the agitator apart but apart from needing to be cleaned, everything looks fine. All the dogs are still in good shape, not broken. So I don’t know where to go from here. I was hoping this would be an easy fix with an agitator repair kit but now I’m not so sure.
Any help appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Usually it's the shift actuator that is the culprit.(there are videos in the threads below)

Your model uses the exact same shift actuator:
W10913953 Actuator

There is a video in the shift actuator part link that shows you how to replace it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below, get into the ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODE on Page 2--->then MANUAL TEST MODE: Page 4

Then on Page 9 you can run Agitate and Spin modes manually, IMPORTANT: Lid must be closed and locked to perform SPIN & AGITATE tests

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10677676 - Rev B.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 33

Elorahd

Premium Member
Ok, I tested it in gentle agitation mode. It ran through its cycle and then…..that’s it. The lights stayed on for a little bit and then turned off. What am I supposed to read from that?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you try HEAVY AGITATION ?

Make a video of this problem happening if you could please and upload it here or you can upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Jake

Elorahd

Premium Member
Well, there’s not much to show since the lid locks. When I put the agitator back together after making sure the dogs were still in good condition, I tried testing it on a small load with no clothes in it. It filled up to small then started to try agitating, but I’m not sure what to listen for especially with no clothes in there. I knew something was still wrong when it would try and agitate for a few seconds and then it would start filling up with water again. It kept doing that until I thought the water would overflow and had to cancel it.

Elorahd

Premium Member
So I went back and tried to test it on heavy agitation and I can’t get the lid to lock for the test. It locks fine within its regular function, but not during the test.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, It sounds like the control board is the problem on yours.

In your tech data sheet I posted above--->See TEST #1: Main Control, page 12.

Here's the control board for your model:
Control Board W10671327

Jake

Elorahd

Premium Member
Ugh! Ok, I went ahead and replaced the actuator to see if that was the issue. That part was easy. The problem I’m having is putting the stupid agitator back together so that the dogs stay in place. They so easily come out of their little pocket and then the agitator doesn’t work right. Please tell me there’s a trick to putting that back together? 🙏🙏🙏

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Elorahd

Premium Member
Ok, I think I finally got it back together with the dogs in place. I set it on a small, delicate load with no clothes to test it and this is what it sounded like.

Is it supposed to sound like that? I’m guessing no. It did that for awhile, would stop for a few seconds, and do it again. Then it drained but sounded like it was still trying to agitate ever so often. After awhile I canceled the whole thing because it didn’t move past that.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you replace the shift actuator?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So I went back and tried to test it on heavy agitation and I can’t get the lid to lock for the test. It locks fine within its regular function, but not during the test.
Like I said, if you can't get HEAVY AGITATION to work properly, then its likely that control board you will need.

But at $370 it would cost more than the machine is worth.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.