FIXED WTW4800XQ Washer skips agitation in the rinse cycle

bigedNY

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4800XQ
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool WTW4800XQ washer....The wash and spin cycles operate properly. Just on the rinse cycle the drum fills with water and immediately pumps out, no agitation to remove soap from the clothing. The result is white detergent stains on dark clothes. Do you think running a diagnostic is going to tell me anything? Wondering if cycle timer or control board is suspect. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

That sounds like possibly your shift actuator may be the culprit. But lets verify that first.

There has been a few service bulletins posted for this model washer you have, This model is a Whirlpool - Vertical Modular Washer. I'm going to post what SENSING does first, then you will need to locate your tech. data sheet and check for error codes and post what the error codes say.

SENSING
When the START button is pressed, the washer will first perform a self-test on the lid lock mechanism. You will hear a click, the basket will make a slight turn, and the lid will unlock briefly before locking again. Once the lid has locked the second time, the washer
will slowly spin the dry load to estimate the load size, and begin adding water. The washer will then move the load briefly, pause to allow water to soak in to the load, and resume adding water. This process may repeat until the correct amount of water has been
added for the load. You may also hear water flowing through the dispenser, adding detergent to the load.

NOTE: The sensing light may also come on during the Soak and Wash portions of the cycle. This is normal.

Now I'm posting your Lid Lock Switch and the video of how to access and replace it, but I don't want you to replace the lid switch again unless you get an error code saying to replace it. The main reason I'm posting your lid lock switch and video is just to show you how to access your tech. data sheet.

Here's the lid lock switch for your model:
Door Look W10404050 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video below, Once you have the top up, there should be a tech. data sheet inside the front panel.

[video=youtube_share;KKxD0oFM85I]https://youtu.be/KKxD0oFM85I[/video]

Go into diagnostics and retrieve the codes, and clear them. This is very important since most complaints start with the lid lock on and blinking, or the unit will not start and spin.

If, when in diagnostics the codes are F7E1, F7E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Here's the shift actuator for your model you can order - Video Included:
Shift Actuator W10006355 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Let us know what you find.

Jake

bigedNY

Premium Member
RE: washer skips agitation in rinse cycle

Hi Jake:

Sorry that i have not gotten back to you sooner relating to this problem. I just ran the diagnostic on the machine and i ran it twice. I get an error code of F8 E3 if i am not mistaken. I looked at the chart for the indicators. The F error has the sensing light and wash light flashing, the E error has the spin and done light flashing.

Looked at a diagnostic sheet i found online for the WVM type washer. It shows washer lamp as value of 8, and spin lamp value of 2 and done lamp value of 1= F8 E3. The diag sheet says OVERFLOW CONDITION? I dont see that happening, and i dont understand how that will cause the machine to skip the agitation part of the rinse cycle. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to if the diag results are helpful or not?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
F8 E3= OVERFLOW CONDITION

Fault is displayed when main control senses water level that exceeds the washer’s capacity.
• May signify problem with inlet water valves.
• Check pressure hose connection from tub to the pressure switch. Is hose pinched, kinked, plugged, or leaking air?
• Pressure transducer fault on main control.
• See TEST #2: Valves and TEST #6: Water Level.

I'd first check your pressure switch hose from the tub to the pressure switch.

If that's fine, then do TEST #2: Valves and especially TEST #6: Water Level.

Here's the pressure switch for your model:
WPW10268911 Switch-Wl

Jake

bigedNY

Premium Member
Hi Jake: There is something i forgot!!!! about a year ago, the house service line for the waste water backed up and the washer got filled up with water almost to the top. I turned on the machine and drained it. Ran some Tide washing machine cleaner through it and rinsed a few more time to make sure the inside of the machine was clean.

So maybe that is why i am getting the F8 E3 Overflow condition error codes????????

I would like to know how i can clear the codes and reset. I have no idea if this is related to the "no agitation in rinse cycle " problem, but i think that i should try to clear the codes.

If you know the procedure, i would appreciate the help, thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There is something i forgot!!!! about a year ago, the house service line for the waste water backed up and the washer got filled up with water almost to the top. I turned on the machine and drained it. Ran some Tide washing machine cleaner through it and rinsed a few more time to make sure the inside of the machine was clean.

So maybe that is why i am getting the F8 E3 Overflow condition error codes????????
Then would make perfect sense.:)

To clear fault codes:
Turn cycle selector knob until the status LEDs flash ON and OFF (see figure 2, page 2).
Press and hold the START button for 3 seconds to clear all fault codes and exit Fault Code Display Mode.

I'm attaching your tech data sheet below so you can see Figure 2, Page 2.

Jake

Attachments

bigedNY

Premium Member
Thanks for the instructions on clearing the codes.

Also , i received a response from another appliance help blog site and the guy was familiar with the particular whirlpool model. He said that these machines perform a "spin rinse " only as default. He advised to select "fabric softener or fabric softener with extra rinse, for the optional rinse selections. The washer does a spin rinse and then fills with water and agitates, performing a traditional deep rinse.

Used the washer for 2 years without knowing this~!!~! Whirlpools user guide doesn't mention the difference in rinse performance at all. I never use fabric softener when running washes.

Thought i would let you know in case someone else inquires with the same problem.

Thanks again for the information, its much appreciated .

http://www.whirlpool.com/digitalassets/WTW4800XQ/Use%20and%20Care_EN.pdf

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's good to know, thanks that will help others.:)

Jake