• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW4810BQ0 Whirlpool washer agitation noise

hamilton101

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4810BQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hearing some pretty loud noise during agitation, so ran the diagnostic tests. No error codes.

Ran agitation tests, manually. A bit of noise, not as loud as when the washer was running a cycle. The first attached file has a recording of that noise - low agitation speed, no water, recorded during manual test.

Then put water in the tub with a blanket. Noise during normal agitation was much louder, and I could not be sure the washer was even agitating. That is the second recording.

Spin test ran ok - no noise, but at the end of the spin cycle, the tub spun for a while without any real braking action. Does this washer even have a brake?

Appreciate any pointers.

Thanks!

Allen in Corvallis.

Attachments

• Agitator_Low_Test.mp3
    1.4 MB
  • Agitator_High_with_Water.mp3
    324.8 KB

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Allen, sounds like either the agitator is stripped or the transmission is stripped or the Splutch Cam is stripped.

Run another agitate test cycle with not clothes in it, but this time remove the agitator first and see if it still makes that noise.

Here's the agitator for your model below, when you click the link to it, you will see a video of how to remove it.

WP3951744 Agitator Assembly

Here's the Splutch Cam Kit for your model:
W10721967 Splutch Cam Kit

Video included in part link.

tilt.JPG

Let us know what you find.

Jake

hamilton101

Premium Member
Removed the agitator and ran the agitator test in manual mode, both slow and fast tests. Pretty quiet.

Then started a load of wash. Still have a short intermittent screech sound with each change of direction of the agitator. Sometimes no screech for a short period, maybe 20-seconds.

Sound seems to be coming from near the bottom of the machine.

Thanks.
Allen

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you tilt the washer back and remove the splutch cam to see if the teeth are worn down causing that sound?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Allen, sounds good.

Jake

hamilton101

Premium Member
Hi Jake -

Pulled the pulley. The teeth on the white parts under the pulley look solid, but there is a ridge and some wear on the splines on the pulley.

It looks like there is a ridge on inside of the pulley right about the end of the shaft, with no wear on the pulley below that.

In the region where the shaft contacts the pulley, the ridges of the pulley seem to be worn. I tried to get a photo, but the image doesn't quite show the details.

There is some play in the pulley on the shaft when the nut is off. I could not really test it because the shaft was free-wheeling. Maybe if I had longer arms I could have reached around into the tub and held the other end .. : )

Allen

Attachments

• KIMG0013.JPG
    KIMG0013.JPG
    902.3 KB · Views: 60

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Allen, what about the white plastic cams above the transmission pulley?

Jake

hamilton101

Premium Member
The internal teeth looked good. I did not pull them to look above to look at the connection between them and the bottom of the tub. Probably should have.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I did not pull them to look above to look at the connection between them and the bottom of the tub. Probably should have.
Yes, it would be a good idea to do that.:)

Jake

hamilton101

Premium Member
Hi Jake -

I took off the Splutch assembly and did not find anything broken or worn. Then reassembled and ran a manual test of the agitate and spin cycles with no water in the tub. Worked. No noise. Seems like the washer needs a load in it to cause the screeching during agitation.

Does this point to the transmission as the problem?

Thanks
Allen

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If your absolutely sure the agitator is not stripped, ALSO hold the transmission shaft with your hand while the agitator is OFF and see if the transmission shaft strips while holding onto it with your hand.

I'd also check your agitator cam assembly to see if its stripped.

Here it is for your model(Video Included in part link):
285809 Short Cam Agitator Repair Kit

If the transmission shaft strips while you are holding on to it with your hand, then yes, that is a bad transmission.

Here's the transmission(gearcase) for your model you can order:

This video shows you how to replace it:

Jake

hamilton101

Premium Member
Jake - thanks for sharing this info.

I was getting ready to go back over to the neighbor lady's house to have another look when the doorbell rang.

She had come over to tell me she was running a load of laundry and the washer wasn't squealing any more. What the heck?

I guess I'll have to put this project on hold until the noise comes back, which it probably will... At any rate, she seemed pretty happy.

Thanks again, and I'll fill in the next chapter of this story when it happens.

Allen

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Allen, sounds good.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.