• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW4816FW2 Whirlpool top load washer won't start

Smed

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4816FW2
Brand
Whirlpool
Our Whirlpool top load washer won't start. Push the Start button, the Locked light flashes red, then after a few seconds light goes out. Nothing else happens. Any idea where to look first? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Sounds like either the lid switch or shift actuator is bad. Lets first check for a error code.

I'm attaching your tech data sheet below. Get into the ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES and see what fault codes you get.

On Page 2 of your tech. data sheet do: ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES

Then do FAULT CODE DISPLAY MODE on Page 3--->Then you can see what fault code/codes you are getting on Page 6 and Page 7: FAULT/ERROR CODES

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10740624 - Rev B.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 9

Smed

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. I learned about diagnosing the error codes after posting this. Two recent error codes were "Lid Switch Fault" and "Lid Unlock Fault", so ran Test #8 and appears to be lid switch. New one ordered, but wife antsy as it will take several days to deliver. Tried one of the overrides in a video, but didn't work..... there are several types of switches.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh no, don't try a override, that will blow out the control board.😭

Here's the lid lock latch switch for your model:
W11307244 Latch

Jake

Smed

Premium Member
Got the new latch assembly and installed. The door won't close because washer thinks its in locked position. Read that can unlock in Manual Mode. When I go to Manual mode initially all green lights off, but red latch light flashing, so doesn't line up with any of the status on page 9 for Manual Test Mode. I press Start but nothing happens. Is there another way to put lid into unlock mode?

I did diagnostics after and still get F5E1 - Lid Switch Fault.

I opened up the new switch and flipped toggle so would allow door to close. Ran TEST #8 on new latch. With washer lid closed, but not latched, J6-2 to J6-3 got Open, J6-1 to J6-2 got 100 ohms. This is opposite table in manual. I was using labelled of pins on the control board but finding corresponding on new cable. Did I get a bad switch?

Last edited:

Smed

Premium Member
BTW, what are recommendations for a new washing machine? We just use the basic functions, nothing fancy. I'm not throwing any more money away on this washing machine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No I doubt the new lid switch is bad unless you got it from amazon or ebay, I think you blow out your control board, when you tried to jump it.

Some idiot on Youtube is telling people to do that and causing more harm than good.

Speed Queen Washer is the best, it comes with a 5 yr. parts and labor warranty.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
But you are still not suppose to do that.

I've replaced many of these same lid switches and never had to do that. And replacing the lid switch fixed all of them for my customers.

TEST #8: Lid Lock
Perform the following checks if the washer does not lock (or unlock).
1. Perform the Lid Lock test under Manual Test Mode on page 9. The following steps assume that this step was unsuccessful.
2. Check lid lock mechanism for obstruction or binding. Repair as necessary.
3. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
4. Remove console to access main control.
5. Visually check that the J6 connector is inserted all the way into the main control.
--->If visual check passes, go to step 6.
--->If connector is not inserted properly, reconnect J6 and repeat step 1.
6. Remove connector J6 from main control.
With an ohmmeter, verify lid lock resistance values shown below across the following J6 connector pinouts:
Screenshot 2021-10-18 07.03.16.png

--->If resistance values are good, go to step 7.
--->If switch measurements do not match the values shown in the table for unlocked (or locked) condition, a problem exists in the lid lock. Replace the lid lock mechanism.
7. If the preceding steps did not correct the lock problem, replace the main control.
a. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
b. Replace the main control.
c. Reassemble all parts and panels.
d. Plug in washer or reconnect power. Calibrate washer and perform Automatic Test to verify repair.

Jake

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I know that, but the control board should open it up when you plug the washer back in and Calibrate washer and perform Automatic Test to verify repair.

Refresh this page and look at post #9:
d. Plug in washer or reconnect power. Calibrate washer and perform Automatic Test to verify repair.

Jake

Smed

Premium Member
I put into Calibration mode and when I hit Start to initiate calibration, the green lights come on one at a time down the line. This repeated about a dozen times then went blank. I waited, but nothing seemed to happen. Tried this twice. There was a note in the Service Manual that may not work on all units. We're ordering a new washer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, do I more thing--->1. Perform the Lid Lock test under Manual Test Mode on page 9. That will test to see if the NEW lid switch is good or not.

Jake