• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW4850XQ0 Whirlpool VMW not draining (or spinning) correctly

jotohomomoto

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4850XQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
my main issue is that my WTW4850XQ0 whirlpool washer is not draining and spinning correctly. After a load is "done" the clothes are soaked or sometimes the tub is filled with water. I have to put the washer through Drain & Spin a couple of times to get the drain the water. I'm also getting a weird plastic smell (not quite burning) but I def smell something. My last 4 codes are:
F2E1 Stuck Key, F7E1 Basket Speed Sensor Fault, F7E7 Motor Unable to Reach Target RPM, F0E0 No Fault.
I've scoured these forums, YouTube, and other random places and finally decided to just make a custom post on here. My intuition, based on other posts, is that its the Shift Actuator, but I want to get other opinions before I pull the trigger on a purchase. I already jumped the gun and bought an unnecessary Drain Pump, which did nothing to fix the problem…..I learned my lesson about rushing the repair!! lol
thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the water ALL draining out within 90 seconds? What I do is time it as soon as it starts draining, if the water flow is weak coming out of the drain hose, then you have a partial clog between the tub outlet port and the drain pump, or from the drain pump to/through the drain hose. Because if ALL the water is not draining within 90 seconds it can never do a fast final spin.

If the water is ALL draining within 90 seconds, I'd first check the tub drive block.

Here's the tub drive block for this model:
Drive Block WP389140

There is a video in the tub drive block part link that shows you how to access it.

You can see the comparison here:

See the one on the left, its the old one, the one on the right is the new one. It has to have those 2 ear slots. Does yours look like the one on the left or right?

driveblock.jpg

Let us know.

You will need to also order a spanner wrench to remove it if its bad:
sea-tub-wrench-tb123b-ap6832671_03_l.jpg

Jake

jotohomomoto

Premium Member
I haven't checked to see how long it takes to drain the water. I took the drain hose out and flushed it out with water and made sure there were no kinks. what is the best way to time the drain time? like a manual mode on the washer?? thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
what is the best way to time the drain time?
When you put it in Rinse/Drain cycle, time it with your phone stopwatch when you hear it start draining.

Jake

jotohomomoto

Premium Member
ok so the water drains within 90 seconds. are u saying its probably a worn out driver block?? would that explain the strange smell?? Like its friction being created by a stripped driver block?? thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jotohomomoto

Premium Member
I got the spanner wrench today and after much hammering and Blaster, I got the nut off to reveal the Drive Block doesn't seem to be stripped. Its corroded and unsightly but the teeth seem to be firmly connected to the block. tbh, I half-assed checking to see if the washer drained in 90 seconds. I'm starting think your first hypothesis about a partial clog might be the culprit. I already have the washer partly taken apart, is there a more direct way to check for the potential clogs you mentioned?? Since I already bought the Drain block and have it ready to install, would it be wise to just go ahead and switch out the part?? thanks again.

IMG_6527.jpg
IMG_6530.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, your drive block looks very corroded, I'd replace it.

Yes, check for any clogs from the tub outlet port to the drain pump for blockage.

Here's the tub to drain pump hose for your model:
Internal Drain Hose W10899966

Also, check the drain pump outlet hose for blockage:
Hose W11244231

jotohomomoto

Premium Member
as u can see the corrosion is pretty bad. I'm having a really difficult time trying to lift the inner tub out of the washer housing. Do you have any advice for breaking up the corrosion so that I can free the inner tub?/?
I just put everything back together and washed a small load and everything spun and drained well. I think the problems only happen on larger loads which tells me it might be that partial clog

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This thread should help you:

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.