• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WTW4850XQ1 Whirlpool Washer always fills to top

Status
Not open for further replies.

core

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4850XQ1
Brand
Whirlpool
My auto load sensing washer has recently started filling to the top row of holes even with just a few items in the tub. If there was a problem with the pressure switch wouldn't it have overflowed? It has never done that to me; it's like it's doing this on purpose. No, I don't open the lid while it's filling.

The pressure tube connects right to the board on this model (ugh), and I've cut a little of the old tube off to get a tighter fit there. No codes appear to be set, and the self-test seemed to work fine but I don't know where it would say if something failed. I was able to blow through the tube from the top and it seem unobstructed.

I haven't yet pulled the cabinet off to inspect the lower end of the tube because I first wanted to know what else I should check when the cabinet's open.

I'm really confused about why it's not overflowing and it's strange that I can't find many search results on this problem from other folks. Surely the load sensing can fail, no? I'm not sure how that even works.

Thanks in advance!

Added model number

Last edited by a moderator:

core

Premium Member
I screwed up when reporting the model number; the correct model is WTW4850XQ1.

I must have been looking at the p/n of the manual itself. Unfortunately I don't see a way to edit my original post.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching your tech data sheet below. Make sure you drain all the water out of the tub first, then On page 2 do--->ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES
Then on Page 3 do--->CALIBRATION MODE: Page 4

If calibrating it does not resolve and and you don't have a clog in the air dome where the pressure switch hose connects to the outer tub of your washer, and your pressure HOSE does NOT have a small pinhole in it, then the control board is faulty and causing this.

Here's the control board for your model:
W10480186 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10280489.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 23

core

Premium Member
FIXED! Recalibration did the trick, thanks Jake! My well pump and septic tank will now be much happier.

I noticed right away that the load sense step was a much slower and deliberate process than before. Like it's supposed to be.

I sure am glad it wasn't the board.

Dunno how things got out of whack. I've had a few unbalanced loads and my hoses have frozen up a few times over the years. Who knows. All is happy now. Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent core, glad to hear CALIBRATION MODE fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.