WTW4930XW0 Whirlpool washer - loud grinding noise during spin cycle

rand1

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4930XW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi, I've got an issue with my washer that I was hoping to get some advice on.

Usually near the start of the spin cycle the washer will suddenly start making a loud grinding noise. At the same time I've observed that the red "Lid Locked" button always starts flashing instead of staying solid.

Occasionally the grinding noise happens when the light is on for other cycles such as the Wash cycle, but from what I can hear it always seems to be when the machine is starting to spin fast. (I guess the wash cycle must also include a short spin?)

The grinding noise is extremely loud. I can hear it several rooms away. When it starts happening I've always rushed over and pulled the power plug, which immediately stops the noise.

If I plug it back in it will usually just be stuck with the "Spin" and "Lid Locked" light flashing. Eventually I hold down the Cancel button and it usually clears it. From there I now have a washer with a bunch of soapy water and clothes in it. I've been able to get it to drain eventually using just the "drain and spin" setting. Sometimes on this setting, it does actually spin for a little while without making the grinding noise, and it eventually drains, and I've been able to go a few weeks doing minimal laundry this way.

Any help on diagnosing or fixing this? I am not very knowledgeable, though I have some basic tools and I have done some basic appliance repair like replacing the handle mechanism on a dishwasher. Thanks for any assistance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Take the belt off and remove the transmission pulley and remove the plastic cams and see if the teeth are worn down there, that can make it just keep grinding and not spin. If the teeth are worn down order and replace that Splutch cam kit.

Here's the sputch cam kit for your model:
W10721967 Splutch Cam Kit

Video included in part link.

Let us know what you find.

Jake