• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW4950XW3 Washer making clinking noise during sensing

dhurst

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4950XW3
Brand
Whirlpool
Last week our washer started to make a loud clicking noise right at the beginning of the cycle during sensing. Once it started the cycle it stopped clicking, it did this for a few washes and has not since. I am trying to get a video if and when it does it again but wanted to see if there was something I could look or watch for.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly the lid switch or shift actuator or splutch cam.

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1psVH4VJFVWLEFo_Kf8Dwp9OlD8vPDuVG

You can get into the ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES and see what fault codes you get, if any.

On Page 2 of your tech. data sheet do: ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES

Then do FAULT CODE DISPLAY MODE on Page 3--->Then you can see what fault code/codes you are getting on Page 6 and Page 7: FAULT/ERROR CODES

dhurst

Premium Member
Jake,

I don't think I got any unless I did something wrong once I activated fault code display mode. Only the sensing light blinked even when trying to cycle through the last 5 codes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if you can get a video of this problem happening that would help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I heard it. If you do a RINSE/SPIN cycle does it work good? Also DRAIN/SPIN work good?

dhurst

Premium Member
Yes and no, the first time I tried each everything was fine the second it repeated the same thing on the rinse/spin cycle. It seems the be the issue is intermittent.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then its possibly the shift actuator, that's the most common part to fail on these machines.

Here's the shift actuator for your model:
WPW10006355 Shift Actuator

Here's the video:

Also, make sure the plastic splutch cam is not starting to wear out and causing that to happen, you can see a good photo of it here:

Here's the splutch cam kit for your model:
W10721967 Splutch Cam Kit

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.