• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW4950XW3 Whirlpool Washer stops middle of wash cycle

Meganacious

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4950XW3
Brand
Whirlpool
Our Whirlpool washer started out with not being able to get out of the Sensing cycle and couldn't get other cycles to work. Had this problem before and switched out the Shift Actuator. Now it's switching out of sensing cycle just fine and other cycles such as drain and spin work fine as they weren't working either.

Still having a problem with the wash cycle though. It senses like normal and starts to fill and begins the wash cycle like normal. However it stops in the wash cycle and I can hear a buzz. The lid unlocks and if you hit start again it'll go through the sensing and start to wash again before it stops and starts buzzing. I went through the codes and the only code that comes up is the F8E1 which points to a water problem.

I pulled off the inlet valve and tested it with a volt meter. It tests fine. The pressure from the hose is fine too. Any ideas as to what it might be so I can go about testing that? I don't want to buy a bunch of parts or a new washer if I don't have to.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That doesn't make sense, it didn't have that buzzing problem until AFTER you replaced the shift actuator? If that's the case that shift actuator you just replaced is bad, where did you get it at?

Here's the shift actuator for your model:
WPW10006355 Shift Actuator

Jake

Meganacious

Premium Member
From an online parts store. I'll get another one and see how that goes. I thought it might have been 2 separate problems but I'll be thrilled if it isn't working right due to a bad replacement part. Not the first time I've had that happen so I definitely see that it's possible!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it seems the shift actuator is still the problem because it fixed the majority of issues, but caused the buzzing now that was not present before.

Make sure you get the OEM shift actuator, way too many places try to sell you a aftermarket cheap one, and those don't work properly in home appliances.

Jake

Meganacious

Premium Member
I got a 2nd new actuator and put it on. Both are OEM ones and I got it from a 2nd parts place in case there was a bad batch. I calibrated the washer and have currently been waiting 20+ minutes for it to try to run a shirt I threw in for a test run. It currently seems to be stuck in sensing mode again and I’m wondering what my next step is. Could it be a bad control board?

Meganacious

Premium Member
An add on; I waited for over 45 minutes and it never started a wash. I tried it on several modes and the closest it came to washing was it emiting a loud noise and I quickly shut it off. I can hear what's probably the actuator trying to work but it just stays in sensing mode. Could it also be a problem with the motor the way it made a loud sound? Is there ways to test the board or the motor so I don't have to keep throwing money at it if it's done?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Meganacious

Premium Member
I stopped working on the washer after your last response due to my basement being too cold for me plus a family issue that kept me busy for a couple weeks. I started back on it this afternoon and decided to plug it back in and try it to see where I was at in all of the testing. It still has the new actuator on it and it started doing the buzzing it was doing earlier. After doing some more reading and watching of videos I think it may be the motor coupler or the run capacitor. The buzzing sounds the same as the videos had. The washer has no problem sensing and starting to fill but it definitely doesn't try to wash once it has the normal amount of water that it usually has when it was washing correctly. So now I'm starting to test those 2 things. I'm hoping there's either obvious damage to the motor coupler so that I can order one and get done with this project. I appreciate all of your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This model doesn't use a motor coupler, it uses a drive belt.

Here's your parts diagram:
#15 is the drive belt
#18 is the capacitor

Take the drive belt OFF the motor and transmission pulleys and see if you can turn BOTH pulleys freely BOTH ways.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.