• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW5000DW New washer not working properly

ottowas1

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5000DW
Brand
Whirlpool
I'm new here and joined because I am totally frustrated and majorly disappointed in this new WTW5000DW Whirlpool washing machine. I only wish I had met my (honest) appliance repair guy that came out to repair my 18 year old Kenmore refrigerator last month. He definitely shares my view that these new washing machines are junk, despite supposedly saving a precious resource, water. Initially my regrets were not buying a front loader, but from what I read they're only marginally better than their top loading counterparts. I could go on and on but won't. Just want to see if you people with a lot of knowledge and experience can sooth my negative feelings enough from doing something rash like giving this thing away and purchasing something else. Maybe a used 'old school' top loader?

Case in point: after a very long delay in starting the wash cycle, it finally began washing. As a test, I attempted to view the action by opening the lid and using a screwdriver to force it to continue operating. What I witnessed distressed me even further. Two sets of linens pretty much just sitting in a dab of water while the basket went back and forth, linens all twisted and knotted up! I wasn't going to stand there the whole cycle because from past cycles I know it takes an extremely long time. I'm thinking of setting up my GoPro so as to watch the whole thing in the comfort of my office! But I saw enough to just groan, WTF!! is this how engineers think so-called enhanced technology washers should work?

OK folks, please weigh in. I'm hoping for advice to quell my negative thoughts. Maybe a hidden button to push to make it all work great?!?! Thx in advance.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Try this and see if it works for your model and we can check if it logged an error code.

Make sure washer is in standby mode, plugged in and all indicators off. Do the following sequence of movements using the cycle selector knob. Once you RESET the cycle selector, you have 6 seconds to complete the sequence. Too fast or too slow and you may need to start over. Push the POWER button to exit test mode.

RESET- Rotate the cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear the sequence.

1. Rotate the cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.
2. Rotate the cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second
3. Rotate the cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second
4. Rotate the cycle selector knob counterclockwise one click and wait ½ second
5. Rotate the cycle selector knob clockwise one click.

If you were successful getting into test mode all the status LED’s will be flashing on and off in ½ second intervals.

Turn the cycle selector knob until just the DONE status LED is lit and push START for error code display mode.

Fault/error codes are displayed by alternating the state of the Status LED’s in one-second intervals. All fault/ error codes have an F# and an E#. The F# indicates “Type of Fault” and the E# indicates “Component system where fault is located.”

If the Sensing LED is ON, the Fault Number is represented; if OFF, the Error Number is represented (see example below). The remaining LED’s (Wash, Rinse, Spin, and Done) represent
the fault and error code in binary. Here's an example:
WTW4950-2.jpg

Turn cycle selector knob clockwise to view fault codes in the order of most recent to oldest.