• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW5000DW0 Whirlpool washer will not spin F7E1

cam2rich

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5000DW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Jake, I've run into a similar issue as mcphats, however when running the machine in agitate without a belt, the motor spins properly. While running the machine in low spin without the belt, the motor spins for maybe two seconds and stops. The code thrown is F7E1. I have performed all of the above tests with mostly the same results. When I empty all water, clear the code, and run in calibration mode, I am getting EXCESSIVE movement and noise from the machine and it will not stop until the power is disconnected. It also runs for much longer than the suggested 2-4 minutes.
Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I am getting EXCESSIVE movement and noise from the machine and it will not stop until the power is disconnected. It also runs for much longer than the suggested 2-4 minutes.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, is the tub banging the sides?

Or are you referring to the motor making that same noise in his video ABOVE?

If you can make a video of your washer doing that, it would help us.

Jake

cam2rich

Premium Member
I can shoot an in depth video of everything I have tested and results from each test when I get home tonight. I am referring to the tub banging the sides. I made sure the tub was completely emptied before starting the calibration. I called off work tomorrow so I will be working on it all morning. Thanks for the help!

cam2rich

Premium Member
I’m worried there is more than just that, I get an F7E1 Code after only a few seconds in low spin mode.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, then you'll need to do the same thing I told @mcphats in post #3 to determine which part is bad for the F7E1 Code.

Jake

Last edited:

cam2rich

Premium Member
Cleared codes, ran low spin beltless, no issues. Ran high spin beltless, spun for 1 second and threw F7E1. Cleared code, ran gentle and heavy agitation no belt, no issues. Ran gentle and heavy with a belt, no issues. Ran low spin with a belt and threw f2e1 stuck keys code (first time seeing this one) and f7e1.

Test 3B step 14: Red and white motor windings 3 & 9 was 9 ohms, 6 & 9 were 5. 1/3 HP motor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
F7E1--->BASKET SPEED SENSOR FAULT.
Fault is displayed when the main control cannot determine speed of basket, or speed changes too quickly.
• Locked rotor—check that basket, impeller, and motor can rotate freely.
• Check harness connections from main control to motor and shifter.
--->See TEST #3a: Drive System–Shifter, page 13.

Put it on Rinse/Spin cycle and see if it fills, agitates, drains, and spins. Give it time, its a long cycle.

I had one do this same thing 1 1/2 years ago.

The shift actuator has a sensor in it that senses the movement of the inner tub basket. If that goes haywire the machine will act funny like this.

Here's the shift actuator for your model:
W10913953 Actuator

Video Included in part link.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

cam2rich

Premium Member
Jake, I performed test 3A and the only issue I ran into was i was only getting +12.42V instead of 13+ in step 10.

cam2rich

Premium Member
Also, I ran the rinse/spin cycle and it completed with no issues although I do have a F7E1 code. I do not believe I had that prior to the cycle but I cannot confirm that it was cleared.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange.

It should be running fine now IF the rinse/spin cycle did fine and it completed with no issues.

I don't know what you keep getting the F7E1 code.

Can you run a load and see if it completes fine?

Jake

cam2rich

Premium Member
Hello good sir. Figured I would check back in and update you. Sadly, I still don't have a fully functioning washer. I replaced the actuator with a new one and I can wash and rinse loads (the machine only runs in normal) but they are finishing soaked as I do not believe there is any spin cycle happening. I am still getting the F7E1 code and there was one load I ran where I got the FE5 "off balance load detected" code.
I am not sure if the actuator actually made a difference or not but I am considering buying the suspension kit and control board and sending back whatever I do not need.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the videos, now I know the problem, I heard the water splashing around when it was trying to spin, you should NOT hear any water splashing in the tub when it spins, all the water should be already out of the tub.

So that tells me your drain pump is either bad or something is stuck in it, keeping it from draining the water in the tub out.

Remove the drain pump and check for foreign objects in it.

Here's the drain pump for your model:

This video gives you a general idea of how to access and remove the drain pump to check for a clog in it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

cam2rich

Premium Member
That may have been my fault, I believe I took those videos after stopping the machine mid cycle. I have seen this machine do this similar shaking after pulling the drain hose on the bottom and ensuring that there was no water. I will take another video after draining. I also just this morning pulled the drain tube off and there was a high volume of water coming out. I’m inclined to believe the pump is fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You understand what I'm saying?

No water can be in the tub when it spins.:)

I also just this morning pulled the drain tube off and there was a high volume of water coming out. I’m inclined to believe the pump is fine.
Just the opposite, if there is a high volume of water that came out when you took the drain hose off, its NOT draining fine.

Jake

cam2rich

Premium Member
I should clarify: The wash cycle was stopped prematurely while the tub was full of water. I took the drain hose from the wall and manually turned the pump on. When I did that, the pump pumped a high volume of water from the tub.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

But what I'm saying is no water should be in the tub at all when it goes into the spin cycle.

Do a rinse and spin cycle and when it drains pull the drain hose up from the drain pipe and watch how fast the water is coming out, it should be coming out very fast with lots of pressure.

Jake

cam2rich

Premium Member
Jake,

I ran the washer in manual fill then manual drain and here was my result. I would say good flow but I have no reference. After the video ended I pulled the hose at the bottom of the gun and drained it into a 5 gal bucket. there was 1 1/4”of Water in the bucket

Attachments