Status
Not open for further replies.

rayians

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5000DW1
Brand
Whirlpool
My washer has been behaving strangely lately. It started out by not finishing a spin cycle. It would work fine through rinse, the indicator light switches over to spin, it spins for maybe 30 seconds and begins the rinse cycle again. The indicator light remains in spin. It will do this over and over perpetually until you manually stop it. I checked for error codes and got two codes out of it, unbalanced load and door switch. I changed out the door switch thinking this had to be it. Nothing changed. I decided to do a recalibration, which again did absolutely nothing. I then tried to check for new/additional codes. Now I can't even get into diagnostic mode. I do hear a click when I complete the procedure but no lights come on.

I am really lost as to where to go next. My gut feeling is the main control board is bad given all of these symptoms put together, but how can I verify or eliminate that?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
rayians said:
I can't even get into diagnostic mode...... how can I verify
That pretty much tells the story. The diagnostic mode is controlled by the control board.

W11116590 Cntrl-Elec
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-w11116590-ap6261032_02_m.jpg

rayians

Premium Member
I read the tech manual looking to see if theres another way I can access diagnostic mode. As it turns out, you've got to wait 1/2 second between each turn of the knob. I was just zipping through it, so following that I am now able to get into diagnostic mode. The only two codes in there are the same as before - unbalanced load and door lock switch. I know we can't rule out the control board just yet but is there something else I should check before popping for a $300 part?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Rick should be here shortly.

I located a similar thread with the model and error that you have: FIXED: WTW5000DW1 Whirlpool F0 E5 error code

F0E5 – OFF BALANCE LOAD DETECTED

Fault is displayed when an off balance condition is detected.
• Check for weak suspension. Basket should not bounce up and down more than once when pushed.
• Clothing should be distributed evenly when loading.

Does the basket bounce up and down more than once when pushed?

Then check your hub underneath the wash plate where I mentioned that in post#6. As you can see a new hub fixed his washer.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome Rick!

Jake

rayians

Premium Member
Bad news to worse. I followed the diagnostic flowchart in the tech manual, which led me to believe the main board is bad. I replaced that, calibrated, ran a test cycle....and no change. Absolutely unbelievable. I checked for new codes are there are none. Now I'm really lost.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
Thanks Jake! Good timing, My Aunt called me yesterday with the exact same machine with all the LEDs flashing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did that service flash fix hers Rick?

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
I haven't gone there yet. It a good relative (my moms sister) so you know I have to fix it for free and she's going to talk my ear off about my mom. If you were closer I'd give you the call...lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, From all the older folks that live down here in snowbird land, I'm very used to them talking up a storm , it's quite interesting what they say.:)

In fact I kinda like it, everyone is something new I hear.:)

But your right if its about you mom, then it would probably get to be monotonous to you.:)

Jake

rayians

Premium Member
I finally got around to tinkering with this some more. There was an incidental finding of lint in the cold water inlet where the hose connects to the machine. I cleaned that out, reconnected everything and guess what, the machine finished the test cycle! HOWEVER, not without fault. Now it goes into spin mode, spins for a few seconds, stops and sits there and eventually the DONE led lights up. I also have the F0 E5 error code back since installing the new main board. I am almost certain the suspension is not bad, when I push the drum down it bounces right back up and doesn't keep bouncing. I am really at a loss here.

Last edited:

rayians

Premium Member
I followed the thread the Jake posted earlier about the F0 E5 error. I found nothing wrong. The belt, pulley, transmission, wash plate, and hub all have no signs of wear as described in that thread. I put everything back together, but now it was stuck in SENSING mode forever. I fixed that easily enough by recalibrating the machine. Now that it's recalibrated, I am back to the original problem of it being stuck in a continuous rinse cycle! The LED moves to spin, but after a few seconds although the LED doesn't move, it begins a rinse cycle again. I even tried the service flash and it didn't change anything. I have never had this many problems with a fairly new appliance in my life and I absolutely HATE this machine! It's close to being put to the curb at less than 2 years old!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

The only thing you can do now is test your shift actuator(shifter)(TEST #3a in the tech. data sheet), check the belt and the splutch pulley that the belt rides on, see if that splutch cam is stripped, or the nut that holds it in place is loose.

Here's the tech. data sheet for this model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13EInFAAf99HeIgo6JNhYxCuG3RSqZdZG

Read page 10 where it says WASHER WON'T SPIN, and it tells you all the parts to test, you will need a multimeter.

Also test the motor(TEST #3b in the tech. data sheet).

Since you already replaced the lid switch and main control board you can bypass those tests.

I know it's frustrating to have a machine fail this early, and believe me these newer appliances seem more problematic than the older, more reliable ones of days past, due to all the electronics they use now.

If you decide to buy a new machine, the best on the market would be SPEED QUEEN.

Speed Queen Speed Queen - Built Better to Last Longer which was owned by Raytheon which also owned Amana back in the 1990's. Alliance Laundry Systems bought Speed Queen and you will notice there are very few Speed Queen repair questions here, which means they are the best built.

Jake

Updated tech data sheet to the proper one for WTW5000DW1

Last edited:

rayians

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Test 3a and 3b checked out with no problems. These tests are sort of a flow chart, in that they have you test something, if you get this result change this part, if not go to the next step. The second to last step (right before they tell you to change the main board, which I've already done) they tell you to change the "shifter assembly", which I guess is the shift actuator? The confusing thing is they have you check the ohms of it in an earlier step and mine checked out fine. Is changing this the next logical step?

Last edited:

rayians

Premium Member
I should also add that the belt, splutch pulley, and cam were all inspected today and look fine. When spun the pulley only spins the wash plate and not the drum, which I assume is normal. Additionally I now have no error codes. I don't know if any of that helps narrow it down to the shift actuator nor not. I am truly running out of parts to be bad here!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, I don't think its the shift actuator, because you said it does spin for 30 seconds:
My washer has been behaving strangely lately. It started out by not finishing a spin cycle. It would work fine through rinse, the indicator light switches over to spin, it spins for maybe 30 seconds and begins the rinse cycle again.
Its just not spinning for the entire spin cycle, that's what is puzzling. After that 30 seconds does the motor sound like it wants to start again? Any sounds from the motor at all after that 30 seconds?

Jake

rayians

Premium Member
I have been taking the word of the Mrs throughout this whole process. I finally decided to shoot a video so I can document for myself what it's doing. I hear what she's hearing, but I'm not sure what it is myself. Everything works normally until we get to the spin cycle. What I'm seeing is when the SPIN LED is lit, thats both the drain and spin cycle. Draining works great but it doesn't even seem to know that it's supposed to spin next, if that makes any sense. What she was hearing is it does exactly 9 "thrusting" motions that sound like a partial spin WHILE IT IS DRAINING. I am only assuming that is a normal part of the draining cycle. As soon as the water is done gurgling from finishing draining, the LED moves to DONE and that it. It never gets into a final spin at all, makes no noise, or even attempts to spin. Its like the spin cycle is eliminated on my machine, all it knows to do is drain and move to done. I've posted the last 2 minutes of the wash cycle on youtube at the following link if anyone thinks that will help:

[video=youtube_share;raht2fv4GbY]https://youtu.be/raht2fv4GbY[/video]

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.