FIXED WTW5000DW1 Washer won't spin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have been taking the word of the Mrs throughout this whole process. I finally decided to shoot a video so I can document for myself what it's doing. I hear what she's hearing, but I'm not sure what it is myself. Everything works normally until we get to the spin cycle. What I'm seeing is when the SPIN LED is lit, thats both the drain and spin cycle. Draining works great but it doesn't even seem to know that it's supposed to spin next, if that makes any sense. What she was hearing is it does exactly 9 "thrusting" motions that sound like a partial spin WHILE IT IS DRAINING. I am only assuming that is a normal part of the draining cycle. As soon as the water is done gurgling from finishing draining, the LED moves to DONE and that it. It never gets into a final spin at all, makes no noise, or even attempts to spin. Its like the spin cycle is eliminated on my machine, all it knows to do is drain and move to done. I've posted the last 2 minutes of the wash cycle on youtube at the following link if anyone thinks that will help:

Thanks again!
Ok, that video helps.

Its possibly the hub underneath the washplate, that's stripped.

Here's the hub for your model, its located underneath the washplate:
W10528947 Hub

I'd first check your hub to see if the teeth are starting to grind down.

The hub has screws that hold it in place, you will see them once you remove the washplate.

To remove your washplate, Watch this video below, wiggle the washplate while pulling it up.

Jake

rayians

Premium Member
Jake you are thebomb.com! There are absolutely no teeth at all on my hub. It's so bad I had to inspect it under a bright light just to be sure this hub had teeth that wore off.

It actually appears like this came smooth from the factory until you take a good hard look at it up close. The only other issue I may have is the teeth on the transmission shaft that the hub mounts to seem worn, not nearly to the degree of the hub, but they are definitely not pristine.

I already ordered the hub, if it still gives me grief after I change it I guess my next step is a transmission?

The hub should be in before weeks end, I'll be sure to post my findings. Either way I am on the right track thanks to your expertise. Thank you! I will certainly write back either way.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good find!

I think your transmission will be ok, as long as the teeth on the transmission shaft are not completely worn down.

So yes, replace that hub first then see how it does, then let us know.:)

Here's the transmission(gearcase) for your model in case you ever need to order it:
W11035751 Gearcase

Jake

rayians

Premium Member
That did it! Finally, she works like brand new again. I would've never figured that out by myself, the hub was worn so smoothly I would've never guessed there were supposed to be teeth there. Many thanks to everyone, especially Jake for figuring this one out for me.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job, glad to hear your back in business.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Mrskp930

rayians and Jake. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I have been searching for weeks for someone with the same issue. The YouTube video you posted finally confirmed it. The teeth were also ground down so badly that it was difficult to tell there was even any there. I'm sorry rayians that you had to invest some cash in fixing yours but want to thank you for helping me keep some in my pocket.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Mrskp930: Excellent, glad we all were able to help you to fix yours too.:)

Jake

wayney

Premium Member
I'm have similar problems with the same washer unit. It's about 3 years old and working fine until recently it's failed to spin and makes some odd noises while attempting to engage spin cycle. It's was new from Lowes and never needed service until now. I thought perhaps it was the hub as Jake mentioned earlier. First problem was removing the 7/16 bolt that holds the washer plate in place. At first I could not break it loose until I applied my impact wrench to it. Still no progress until I slipped the socket and extension over the bolt head and tapped it with my hammer. It finally broke loose when the impact wrench was applied again. Now I cannot for the life of me remove the washer plate. It's next to impossible to get a grip on it and only has a tiny bit of up/down play to provide tiny bit of upward impact to break it loose. It there any way to get under the washer plate and put some pressure on it to remove it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Use a strap or belt to slide it underneath the washplate and pull up and see if it comes off.

Jake

wayney

Premium Member
That's an idea I hadn't yet considered. There's very little clearance to get anything around the wash plate. I tried messing around with a screwdriver around the wash plate periphery to see if I could pop it loose to no avail. I'll give the strap a try. I have some mason's string that's pretty strong, and I might get that under the wash plate and rock it back and forth to release it. If that doesn't work, would it make sense to loosen and back off the bolts holding the transmission up allowing it to drop slightly and then partially reinstall the bolt for the wash plate and tap down on it to get the wash plate to release from the transmission spline?

wayney

Premium Member
My mason's string idea did not work. I managed to get two opposed loops under the washer plate so I could pull upwards with a balanced force. Pulled as hard as I could, but plate would not release from transmission spline. So back to my other idea: If I loosen the transmission bolts allowing the transmission to drop partially, will the washer plate spline drop as well allowing me to work the transmission up and down to apply force on the bottom of the washer plate and break it loose from the transmission spline? Failing that, my next step might be to take a chisel to the washer plate hub so that I can free it up from the spline and replace it. Worst part is, I don't really know if my existing hub part below my washer plate is bad or not.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can try that.

If you can't get it off, then yes you'll have to break the washplate off and buy a new one.

Worst part is, I don't really know if my existing hub part below my washer plate is bad or not.
That's true, but there is no other way to check that hub other than to remove the washplate.

Here's the wash plate for model WTW5000DW1, it comes with a new bolt:
W10752283 Washplate

Jake

wayney

Premium Member
Okay. I finally got the washer plate to release by having my grandson force upward pressure on the mason's strings by using a 2x2 and the top edge of the washer as a fulcrum to lift the washer plate while I was using a 7/16" socket and a couple of 3/8" extensions so that I could hammer down of the washer plate bolt while he continued to exert upward pressure on the partially screwed in washer plate. At first I felt it give a little and kept loosening the bolt while continuing the process.

For a time I felt I'd stripped the threads as eventually I couldn't feel any threads under the bolt while the washer plate continued to hold fast. Finally, I removed the bolt completely, and gave the washer plate hub a sound rap on the side while my grandson continued to force upward pressure on the washer plate and it finally popped off.

The reason I couldn't feel any threads earlier was because the washer plate was slowly separating from the spline earlier in the process, but held to the very last rap on its hub. Upon removal of the hub under the washer plate, I found it's nylon gears stripped and plenty of washing machine debris impacted around it. I don't know if those mating gears are intact or not but suspect they are and a new hub will get me back in business.

I'm a bit hesitant about reusing the old washer plate as no way should a fairly new machine come with such an interference fit between the washer plate and the transmission spline. I took a few pics but don't know how to attach them to this thread....

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent wayney, glad you got it out with the help of your grandson. Its also good to have a helper around!:)

Yes, I'd order both the new hub and new washplate assembly, it comes with a new bolt.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.