• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW5000DW1 Whirlpool Washer Washplate wont release when removing

Sparky1967

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5000DW1
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a whirlpool washer and the washplate was making a loud, heavy clicking noise until finally it just spins freely. I took the center bolt out but the plate won't lift out at all. Any idea why and how I can remove it so I can determine how to fix it?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Normally speaking it should just lift off once the bolt is removed. The shaft may have rusted and swelled out a bit. Try a little wd40 down the bolt hole. If it still will not come off you may have to break it with a hammer and chisle.

LINK> Washplate

jeff.

Sparky1967

Premium Member
Your welcome :)

jeff.
I had to break it in pieces to get it off. Here is a picture of the transmission spline. Do I need to be more concerned about the grooves in the metal shift worn or the notches in the plastic surrounding it?

Attachments

• 20200925_181234.jpg
    20200925_181234.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 22

jeff1

Staff member

Sparky1967

Premium Member
The shaft on the gearbox is pretty worn and considering id have to replace that and the wash plate, is this even worth replacing in this washer? Looking at about 400.00. Also, how hard is it to replace the gearbox?

Thanks

jeff1

Staff member
It is not overly difficult to R&R the tranny/gearbox.....but once we get up to and past approx 50% of the cost of a new one, we usually suggest replacing rather than repairing.

jeff.

Sparky1967

Premium Member
Well, definitely there at 400.00. The gearbox is what I was hoping to salvage. I'm just not sure how deep the groove need to be on that spline for the wash plate to grip properly.

jeff1

Staff member
Very deep, look at the inside of the wash plate....to sloppy and the plate will just strip out from the weight of the clothes and water.

jeff.