FIXED WTW5200VQ2 Whirlpool filling problem

doitmyownself

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5200VQ2
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool model WTW5200VQ2 washer. When filling, there's a strong hammering in the hot water coming into the tub. I don't see this hammering anywhere else in my hot water lines to sinks, showers, etc. My suspicion is that the problem is in the washer, maybe a relay that controls the inlet valve, or maybe a control board that fires the relay. I wondered if anyone has seen this problem and troubleshot it.

Thanks to all

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, keep us posted.

Jake

doitmyownself

Premium Member
I tried a new water inlet valve, from the most trusted parts dealer in town, and it didn't fix my problem, which really surprised me, as I was sure that was the fix. I've been told that there's a circuit board that drives the inlet valve solenoid, and that the board is driven by the controller, and the problem could be in either one of these. I think there's also a slim chance that the new inlet valve was bad. I did have a plumber check out all the plumbing. He also had some experience in appliance repair, and he said the plumbing is fine and the problem is in the washer. A hammer arrester was installed a couple of years ago with the water heater. Would appreciate any ideas from Jake or anyone who might read this. Thanks again to all.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was the new water inlet valve packaged properly and said on the package the exact OEM part number I posted the link to above?

I've had many parts come either defective or with shipping damage from the factory in my almost 30 years in appliance repair.

Yes, your model does have a water temperature control switch that could possibly be causing this, I haven't run into any on my service calls that this water temperature control switch was causing the pipe hammering issue, but its always possible if the water temperature control switch isn't sending proper voltage to the water inlet valve, you could verify that using your multimeter. Should be a constant 120 volts to the solenoids on the water inlet valve when they are activated.

Here's the water temperature control switch for your model:
WPW10112532 Swtch-Temp

Yes, the timer controls the water temperature control switch, so if the timer isn't sending a constant 120 volts to the water control switch, then the timer would be the culprit.

Here's the timer for your model:
WPW10175553 Timer

Jake

doitmyownself

Premium Member
Thanks again Jake for the valuable information. You were right, the problem was the water temperature control switch. I checked it, replaced it, and no hammering after about 6 loads so far.

I thought I still had another problem, because when I set the temp switch at each setting, I got this:

Cold setting - cold water
Cool setting - cold water
Warm setting - alternating cold and warm water
Hot setting - hot water

I thought it should be alternating cold and hot on the warm setting, but my wife says it has always worked this way, so I guess I'm good. Thanks for all the good information you've provided.

Rick

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job Rick, glad to hear that fixed it.:)

Jake