• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW5500XW0 Whirlpool Washer leaves clothes very wet and has F7E1

halforange

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5500XW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Primary Issue: Clothes come out wet
Secondary Issue: Error F7E1 Basket Speed Sensor Fault after doing Normal, F7E1 does not occur after Automatic Test

Troubleshooting completed:
Drain not clogged
Recalibration didn't resolve issues
Passes Automatic and Manual tests
Connections are good
Shifter passed resistance test (2.6K)
Passes Agitate/Spin 0/5V test
Passes 13V check

Maybe passes RPM test? Per the service manual (Job Aid W10329932) found on this forum, the DMM is supposed to toggle between 0 and 5 volts. Actual: when drum turned volts are 3.5-4, when stopped volts are 0 or 5 but no rhyme or reason.

I could use some more clarification on what the DMM is supposed to read when performing the RPM step in test 3b. The manual says it will toggle between 0 and 5 volts. I understand that to mean that it will be similar to a step function output or a toggle - it will be either near 0V or 5V with almost no time in between those values. Instead, I got a consistent 3.5-4V while spinning that was not dependent on the direction of spin (that's probable expected, but I don't know). When the tub was stopped, I'd get either 0V or 5V, but it was very inconsistent. I put a piece of tape on the drum as a visual indicator. I could spin the tub and stop it at the same spot and it would randomly be 0V or 5V. It did not appear to tick up/down at a particular spot in the rotation (maybe my meter or my vision is too slow). And it did not alternate values (one rotation at 5V, the next at 0V). Are my test results passing or failing? The service manual does not have a theory of operation for the sensor itself.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Yes usually the shift actuator is the problem when it does this. Here's the tech data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/197tM3PztM8VMQn2BdTQOk7yHp5YFSXPZ/view?usp=sharing

Here's our main thread on this issue:
Start reading at post #4--->I helped Adam(aka @badtothebohn) and @Sasumquatch and it was the shift actuator that was the problem on both of theirs.

Here's the shift actuator for your model:
Shift Actuator WPW10006355

Access/replacement Video included in the part link.

Jake

halforange

Premium Member
I ran the LED version of the tach test and it passes, so the shift actuator passes all tests. The test path leads to main control (W10392998) replacement, but those aren’t available. Unless the shift actuators are known to work properly in some modes and not in others, I’m going to assume that main control board is the cause of the inconsistent ability for the machine to know the rpms.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.