WTW5500XW2 Spin Failure

johnpruden

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5500XW2
Brand
Whirlpool
Eight year old washer won't go into spin cycle. Error code is F7 E1, Basket Speed Sensor Fault. I cleared the codes and rand the Automatic Test Mode and got the same code. I did the Manual Test Mode and tested the low spin, high spin, gentle agitation, and high agitation tests and they all seem to work fine.

The rotor isn't locked, spins freely.

I've removed and reattached the J2 and J16 harness connections from main control to motor and shifter.

I have NOT gotten into TEST #3a: Drive System Shifter.

Which part(s) of TEST #3a will be the most productive for me?

Thanks,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi JP,

Sounds like the shift actuator is bad, 9 times out of 10, F7E1 is a bad shift actuator.

If, when in diagnostics the codes are F7E1, F7E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Since the manual test for HEAVY AGITATION worked fine, then its definity the shift actuator.:)

Here's the shift actuator for your model you can order here(Video Included):
Shift Actuator WPW10006355

Jake

johnpruden

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake.

Can you explain these two items, please?

(although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control).
Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the transmission during the spin cycle.

Thanks,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It means to check the BLACK wire to make sure its not frayed or broken.:)

Jake