• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WTW5500XW2 Whirlpool washer - Is this a drain pump problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nashvillian

Model Number
WTW5500XW2
Brand
Whirlpool
I recently bought a used washer (WTW5500XW2) which seemed to work okay for the first few washes. It was probably leaking, but my basement gets wet when it rains, so it's hard to tell.

Now, it won't drain. When I unhook the hose from the outlet on the back of the washer, water floods out for a while, then stops. When I start a cycle with the hose still unhooked, it starts to fill but the water immediately runs through the machine and out the back outlet.

Does that sound like the drain pump? Would the drain pump stop the water from pouring out while it's filling, then open up when it's time to drain?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Now, it won't drain.

If the drain pump is getting power ( 110-120 volts AC ) and not draining when it should be draining....then yes, that indicates a bad drain pump.

LINK> Drain pump assembly

Would the drain pump stop the water from pouring out while it's filling, then open up when it's time to drain?

Nope.

jeff.

Nashvillian

I replaced the drain pump but it's hard to tell if it's working because the water still just runs through the machine. As fast as the washer tries to fill, the water goes straight through and out the hose in back.

How do I fix that?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
As fast as the washer tries to fill, the water goes straight through and out the hose in back.

A copy:

Q - My washer seems to keep filling with water, the water keeps coming in the washer and going out the drain without the washer motor running.

A - This often is a drain hose that is too low or a drain hose that has been pushed too far down inside the stand pipe....the water is actually siphoning out of the washer. Do not "seal" the drain hose to the house plumbing pipe, this will also allow the water to be siphoned out.

drain minimum height

jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.