WTW5600XW0 Whirlpool Cabrio - two errors F1 E2 and F7 E5

zambrose

Premium Member
Model
WTW5600XW0
Brand
Whirlpool
I had a problem where my Cabrio wouldn't run and the lid lock light would just flash. I have the service technical manual. I pulled the error codes and got these two errors F1 E2 and F7 E5. I did Test #3a: Drive System and the resistance in step 6 was high ~750kOhms. I installed a new shifter assembly, but then I couldn't get it to calibrate. It also now fails the lid lock test in manual mode - nothing happens. It had passed the lid lock test (#8) when I ran it doing the initial diagnostics. I've checked the connectors and they all seem to be firmly installed. I've redone test #3A and get stuck at step 8. I can't get it do the SPIN or AGITATE tests, because the lid won't lock. I checked the resistance between pins 1 and 3 of the Lid Lock connector (J15) and got 100 Ohms, which is in the range the manual specifies. Any ideas? Thanks!

Zach

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Zach,

That's very odd.

DO THIS:
Go into diagnostics and retrieve the codes, and clear them. This is very important since most complaints start with the lid lock on and blinking, or the unit will not start and spin.

If, when in diagnostics the codes are F7E1, F7E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Here's the shift actuator for your model:
Shift Actuator W10006355

Let us know what you find.

Jake

zambrose

Premium Member
Thansk & update

Thanks, Jake. I cleared the codes. I went through the steps that you suggested. I got a new error code F1 E2. I went through the diagnostics with it and ohmed out the motor and the capacitor, etc. All within spec.

As best I can tell, the diagnostics look like they point to a bad control panel. On the 3B test, step 7, I didn't get any voltage between J16-5 and J16-6. On test #1, step 8 I did get 13V and 5V and the UI was responsive.

I can get the unit to spin with manual diagnostics. When I try to calibrate, all the lights light up, I hear a click and then nothing but a flashing lid lock. And the resistance from test 3A, step 6, is now in spec.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Ckonopkachask

Premium Member
I just replaced the shift actuator assembly for the F7 E5 error code but still gives the same error codes. I do not have the manual so I'm not sure how to calibrate after replacing this part. Can someone tell me how to step through this and also how to go into manual diagnostics to run the tests mentioned in this thread?

Ckonopkachask

Premium Member
My bad I looked back in thread and found link to manual. I was able to go into calibration mode and still get the F7 E5 code. I will now go through manual testing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Do you have the exact same model number WTW5600XW0?

Did you clear that error code like I mentioned in post #2, then followed the steps after that?

Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs
Did the motor run?

Did the motor hum for a split second and shut down with the lid lock blinking?

Jake