FIXED WTW5640XW2 After calibration completes, it still starts on spin for a few minutes

RichES02

Model Number
WTW5640XW2
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello, folks. I am new to this forum and I have been able to repair my own machine even quicker because of all of this helpful input with that ever-pesky F7 E1 error code.

I still have an issue though. I have checked the optical tachometer and it works fine. I made sure the translucent plastic window was clean. The tachometer test checks out 100%.

I used the technical manual to do a VMW calibration and it calibrates all the way through. Thank you, Jake.

However, after calibration completes, it still starts on spin for a few minutes but otherwise performs well and fully completes a wash cycle all the way through.

What am I doing wrong? Bad capacitor on the control board perhaps?

P.S. I have tried using this calibration instruction readily found on-line and it does not work for me no matter what I do. (Only the technical manual method worked.)

This YouTube video also works flawlessly.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

What is the model number of your machine? The model number tag is located under the lid.

Jake

RichES02

The model of my machine is WTW5640XW2. I ruled out the opto circuit, switch, and timing motor on the W10006355 Actuator because I have 2 of those and the logic checks out 100%.

I think the window on the opto-coupled encoder was designed poorly. (LOL)

The machine runs to completion every time but still wants to start with a deviation of about 8 minutes as it always starts on spin even after multiple completed attempts on calibrating it.

It seems like a microprocessor glitch but the control board seems fine and no error codes other than the pesky F7 E1.

Gosh, I wish I had that IR interface tool that's used on the programming floor.

Thank you for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

starts on spin for a few minutes but otherwise performs well and fully completes a wash cycle all the way through.
That's normal, it does its self-test before the washer starts putting water in.

Ok, on your model:

When the START button is pressed, the washer will first perform a self-test on the lid lock mechanism. You will hear a click, the basket will make a slight turn, and the lid will unlock briefly before locking again.
Once the lid has locked the second time, the washer will slowly spin to estimate the load size, and begin adding water. The washer will then move the load briefly, pause to allow water to soak in the load, and resume adding water.
This process may repeat until the correct amount of water has been added for the load.

Jake

RichES02

Wow. Thank you for clearing that up. Thank you for your support, Sir.

I'm glad to know my washer is now fine and working to spec. That is awesome!

Thank you again.

RichES02

P.S. That makes me want to electronically bypass the door lock with a toggle switch so that I can add bleach when the washer has completely filled up in order to minimize the possibility of damaging my laundry.

*DO NOT TRY THIS!*