WTW5640XW3 Whirlpool Washer will fill up but not cycle, I got the e1 f7 error

oldschoolfan

Model Number
WTW5640XW3
Brand
Whirlpool
I have whirlpool washer that would fill up but not cycle. I got the e1 f7 error. I thought it was the shift actuator so I picked up a used one near by. When i flipped the washer up I noticed the pulley at the bottom that the belt went on had came lose and the belt fell off. I tightenb it up and put the belt back and it works but its making a loud noise and sounds like its coming from the bottom. here is a video of what its doing. model.

donsboy

Premium Member
Was the belt cover in place? Was there any signs of the pulley contacting the belt cover? Remove the pulley and check the hub for signs of shavings or contact. The shift actuator has to come off and the hub turns a quarter turn and comes out. I've seen the hub destroyed. The shaft of the gear case drops down and causes the pulley to contact the cover and the damage to the hub.

oldschoolfan

The cover has some black stuff on it like shavings of something. The belt i put back on seem to be warped but didnt look to be worn that much but this black stuff makes me think that has to be from the belt. i could be wrong though. i really dont know.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

That sounds like possibly the SPLUTCH.

Take the belt off and remove the transmission pulley and remove the plastic cams and see if the teeth are worn down there, If so order and replace that Splutch cam kit.

Here's the sputch cam kit for your model:
W10721967 Splutch Cam Kit

Video included in part link.

To keep that pulley nut locked in place, apply loctite blue 242 threadlocker and re-tighten that nut to keep it from loosening up again.

Here it is: Threadlockers from Loctite Products | Threadlocking / Mechanical Gasketing | Loctite Adhesives

Jake

oldschoolfan

I can see where the pulley contacted the cover. Is that black residue oily? The belt shavings would be dry. Oily belt shavings are a sign the gear case is leaking
its kinda dry like dust. it fell out when i took the cover off. It was also little oily. the nut on teh pulley was oily and by the time i tighten it up and got the belt back on my hands where black. i didnt see no runny lose oil or like drips of oil but hands got messy quick.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If i buy the cam kit posted above and switch that out do you think that will solve the issue ?
Like I mentioned above: Take the belt off and remove the transmission pulley and remove the plastic cams and see if the teeth are worn down there, If so order and replace that Splutch cam kit.:)

Jake

oldschoolfan

Like I mentioned above: Take the belt off and remove the transmission pulley and remove the plastic cams and see if the teeth are worn down there, If so order and replace that Splutch cam kit.:)

Jake
thank you guys for the help. i'm going to take it apart and see what it looks like.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, let us know what you find.

Jake