• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WTW5840BW0 Whirlpool Washer wont get out of sense or spin

AZ_Gindles

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5840BW0
Brand
Whirlpool
We have had trouble with this washer. We have an extended warranty. A little history. The washer intermittently would not spin automatically after a wash cycle. We have had the machine serviced and had sensors replaced and maybe even a motor. The trouble continued. The extended warranty company said they would not no longer cover it and bought out the contract. We lived with the intermittent not spinning automatically.
Now the machine will not start up. It starts sense.. It tries to spin but then stops.
I downloaded the tech manual and got the codes which were F7 E1. Basket speed fault.
I cleared the codes then went into the test #3 drive system test.
The first test is the Heavy agitation test and it did that fine.
The next step was the spin test. It tried to spin then stopped.
Checked the codes and only the F7 E1 shows.
I tried the tachometer test and that seems to respond to the movement of the basket.
I tried the manual slow spin and fast spin tests and they did not work. Again only code was the F7 E1.

Not sure what to do next.

How easy should the basket turn when not turned on or engaged?
I got the machine on its front and accessed the drive belt. It seems really hard to turn.

My wife set a deadline of tomorrow to get it fixed or she is buying a new washer.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
How easy should the basket turn
It should turn freely standing up. Remove the J16 connector from the control and check for 2K -3.5K Ω across pins 1 and 2 in the connector.

AZ_Gindles

Premium Member
Thank you!
Ok, I tried that. it was ok.

After that I was thinking bearing problem. So I started down that path.
I took Tub Ring off and removed the agitator and noticed the Tub spun freely. It turns out the Tub Ring was rubbing on the tub enough to slow down the tub. I sanded down the edge of the Tub ring but it back on. Ran calibration and autotest and ran fine. Running a load of jeans now.

Strange I don't know if the Tub Ring deformed over time or the Tub? I don't know... but that that seemed to be the problem.

Thank you for this from.
Got the tech manual from another post and that was very helpful.
Hope this post can help someone.