• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WTW6200 Cabrio Replacing Bearings Shaft and Seal Kit

Nate1

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW6200
Brand
Whirlpool
I am in the processes of replacing the bearings, shaft, and seal on my Cabrio washing machine. I've removed the inner tub, and I've taken off the stator underneath. The instructions say to hammer out the drive shaft after removing the drive shaft nut. Looking at various youtube videos, it looks like this thing is supposed to pop out fairly easily with some mediocre taps. I've pounded this thing as hard as I can and it doesn't budge.

It is like something is holding it in place. The shaft turns freely, so I don't think it is rusted or seized in place. Is it possible that the rubber seal at the top is holding it in place?

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Did you also order the bearing driver installation tool that comes with a removal rod to remove the old shaft?

Also read post #3 here: Whirlpool Cabrio shaft removal as it sounds like he was having the same issue and described how he did it.

There is a kit for this now that comes with complete instructions and a "HOW TO" video in both part links below:

Outer tub and drive shaft repair kit:
Tub Seal and Bearing Kit W10435302

You will also need the Bearing and seal tool:
Bearing Driver W10447783

Jake

Nate1

Premium Member
Thank you for the quick response!

Yes, I ordered both the kit and the tool. The instructions that came with the kit, and indeed the youtube videos, report the removal rod is to be used to remove the old bearings once the shaft has been removed. The instructions and videos say the shaft is to be hammered out. This is where I am having trouble. I have tried hammering the bottom bearing, which is visible, using the removal rod with no success. The top bearing is not visible.

And unfortunately the poster in the referred thread forgot to remove the inner tub before beginning. I have already removed the inner tub.

What is strange is the shaft spins freely. It doesn't seem to be stuck as much as something is holding it in. Other than the shaft seal, I cannot imagine what it might be.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I don't know what else could be holding it in place.

I'd try something to spray on it to loosen it up, maybe something like Liquid Wrench and let it soak for a couple hours.

Jake

Nate1

Premium Member
It turns out I was using the wrong tool. I was hitting it as hard as I could with a normal carpenter's hammer. It didn't do a thing, other than damage the old shaft. I tried a sledge and it popped right out with little effort.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad you got it out.:)

Jake