FIXED WTW6400SW2 Cabrio Sets Overload Code After Bearing Kit

turbospeed

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW6400SW2
Brand
Whirlpool
We've had this Cabrio for a long time and fixed it more than once with the assistance of this forum. I just put in a new bearing kit and drive shaft. After power up and manual test, it spins but sets an overload code, oL, during the agitator test. No problem with this fault prior to the kit. When I had the motor stator off, I noticed cracks in the plastic body of the stator. Why do the cracks matter? Does the stator flex if cracked in reaction to the mag fields generated between the speed drive and the PMG rotor? Also the stator is located in place by an upper and lower metal plate that the four mounting bolts go through. These plates were greasy when I took it all apart. I cleaned the plates off when I put things back together and did not renew the grease. Does this stator need to be able to rotate within the travel limits of the mounting bolts and the plates? Many questions.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Turbo, Here's the parts diagram for your model:

Those are good questions, but I can't answer them as I haven't worked on this Whirlpool model as of yet.

Rick may know, you can message him and refer him to your thread here.

He also posted the service manual for your model in post#8 here: WTW6400SW3 Whirlpool Washer Low Fill Issue

Jake

turbospeed

Premium Member
Hello All, It's been a year since I rebuilt the Cabrio Washer drive system. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong to set the overload fault after rebuilding the drive. This was back in August 2018. When I was running the tests in the washer's diagnostic mode I didn't fill the tub with water so the tube never floated. This was too much load for the drive and resulted in the overload code. Once I realized the problem and changed the way I ran the test everything worked properly. The washer has been back in service since then with no issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Turbo, good job finding that was the problem. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake