• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW6400SW3 Whirlpool Washer Low Fill Issue

Chinton

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW6400SW3
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi

I am looking for any help I can get which will be very much appreciated. I am about at the end of my rope with this washer. I had to store my Whirlpool Cabrio washer in a storage unit while I moved to a new city (stayed in storage 2 years). Pulled the unit out of storage and hooked it up to find that the valve assembly had a crack in it (water all over floor was indicator! LOL). Must have froze in the winter.

Replaced that part and all seemed fine but now my washer will not completely fill with water. It does not even get the cloths wet. So next I replaced the control panel and the unit still does the same thing. Pulled the back off the unit and watched the tub fill with about half a gallon of water then it starts to agitate. Cloths are completely dry except for a sprinkling of water. What else should I check OR replace on this unit? I am already $350 in and am getting to the point where I could have already replaced the unit and it is only about 5 years old!

Thanks for any help and guidance you can provide!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Ok,

Here's the parts diagram for your model: Parts for Whirlpool WTW6400SW3 Washer

Take the clear hose off the pressure transducer and blow through it to clear it. Make sure the screens in the fill hoses is clean and none of the hoses are kinked. Occasionally I have seen the steel braided "anti-burst" fill hoses cause a fill problem.

Chinton

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. I actually just got done checking the clear hose. All good. I took the hose off the control board and started a cycle. The tub then filled and filled and filled just like it should. Had to stop the cycle and put the tube back on the control board so it would not overfill. Next I ran a normal cycle and it only put 2 inches of water in the tub. I'm thinking now that the new control panel I put on may be bad.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I agree with Rick.

But, When you blow through the clear hose, NO WATER can be in the tub, then you put the clear hose back in place on the pressure transducer BEFORE you will the tub the water.

Do that, then post the results.

Jake

Chinton

Premium Member
Thanks Jake!

The hose is clear and air passes through with no issue. I also have the tub empty. The washer will fill with the hose off the control panel but when I put the hose back on the panel and run a normal cycle I only get 2 inches of water? The control panel is brand new. I'm thinking now is the board defective or was the board I took off even bad?

rickgburton

Staff member
Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off, or with only the Clothes Clean or Done indicator on).

Select any one button (except POWER, START, and STOP) and follow these steps using the same button (remember the button)

PRESS/HOLD FOR 3 SECONDS > RELEASE FOR 3 SECONDS > PRESS/HOLD FOR 3 SECONDS > RELEASE FOR 3 SECONDS > PRESS/HOLD FOR 3 SECONDS

If this test mode has been entered successfully, all indicators on the console are illuminated for 5 seconds with 88 showing in the Estimated Time Remaining two-digit display.

The program then checks for saved fault codes:

If there are no saved fault codes, all indicators on the console will momentarily turn off, then turn back on with 88 displayed. After 5 seconds, the Automatic test begins.

If there are saved fault codes the most recent fault code will be displayed and alternately show “F” and “XX” where XX is the fault code, and all the cycle selector indicators flash.

Press and release the same button used to activate Diagnostics to advance to the next fault code (up to 4 stored).

Chinton

Premium Member
Rick you rock!!!! Thank you so much. I was able to go to the test mode just like described. What came up first was C1 and the machine started to fill with water and spin. I pushed the same button and got C2, C3, C4, C5 and then it displayed oL and the unit stopped and started beeping with a circle of lights flashing. Next I hit cancel and started a normal cycle. The machine did its old tricks of putting in two inches of water which is not even enough to touch the bottom of the cloths and started agitating. Is the control panel I just bought bad?

rickgburton

Staff member
Cabrio Washer w/6th Sense

That's what it sounds like. It's not that common but sometimes parts are bad right out of the box.

Attachments

Chinton

Premium Member
Hey guys I' back!!!!! I have almost had it with this washer!!!! Just put on the new control panel and still have the same issue!!!! New valve assembly and control panel and I'm in $350 on this thing. I'm almost ready to junk it! So any addition ideas? Could it be the user interface where all the controls are at? When I start a normal cycle it splashes water in tub from top of washer for two seconds then fills the clear tub to two inches and starts agitation. All this happens in about 20 seconds. I put a brick in the tub so there would be weight. Any additional ideas before I go pull out the Remington 870 to put the ole girl out of her misery! LOL

rickgburton

Staff member
What's the part number of the control panel you just replaced? Are you still getting oL?

Chinton

Premium Member
Main Control Board WPW10189966

Now for some reason I can't get it back in diagnostic mode.

Also is it possible that I have one of the connectors either on the control board or valve assembly not connected in the correct place? I made sure I connected everything back like I took it off.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, back in post #3 and Post #8 we were thinking it might be a faulty new control. Did you exchange it or is it the same one? Add the fact it won't go into diagnostic mode it sounds like the control. Where did you get it?

I think we're missing something simple because that control and the valve are the only things that controls the water level. Let's go over this checklist and even though some of the steps will seem obvious I'm going to add them anyways just to cover all bases.

Water fill hoses are not kinked

Hot and cold water valves are turned on all the way

Hot is connected to Hot and Cold is connected to Cold on the machine.

The pressure switch hose is not kinked between the pressure transducer and the tub

The pressure switch hose is clear (you can blow through it). Try this:
Pinch off the pressure switch by the tub and blow through it to make sure there's no small hole in it
Make sure there is no water in the tub and blow through it. If it's clear try to suck through it. I have seen a piece of lint get caught on the hose inside the tub and act like a flapper valve.

Chinton

Premium Member
I just double checked the checklist below and all is good to go. All hooked up correct, no kinks, clear hose clear and no pin hole.

This is the second control board. I bought it from a parts department in my local appliance store.

I agree with you that it has to be something simple but odd I can't get it back in diagnostic mode. I know that it is always possible for another bad part but the part was sealed in a factory box.

One thing I'm wondering is that the part number that I bought for the valve assembly and control panel are not the original part numbers off of the parts list. Whirlpool must have made changes and put out new parts?

Chinton

Premium Member
Don't know if this helps but you mentioned above to make sure no water in the tub. When trying to run a normal cycle the water never even gets close to the hose but if I take the hose off the control panel the joker would fill as full as I let it.

Chinton

Premium Member
I did replace but also not same part number. It has changed too.

- - - Updated - - -

Rick

I think the problem is the board and not sure if I have the correct board. I pulled the clear hose off and let tub fill to about where a normal cycle would be. Put the hose back on and let washer run its cycle. After about 8 minutes the washer started to fill again and fill 3/4 of the tub before I stopped it.

Does this point toward the board as the issue?

rickgburton

Staff member
Does this point toward the board as the issue?
No, the part number is correct but that kind of test (removing the pressure switch hose) is not a valid test. The same thing will happen if the board is good or bad. What happens when you try to get into the diagnostic test mode? Try a different button (except POWER, START, and STOP).

Chinton

Premium Member
Rick

I finally got the error message this morning. Tried a normal cycle and F1 came up immediately! But tried to go into diagnostics and was not able to activate it. Had my girlfriend try hoping her counting of 3 seconds was better than mine and she was unsuccessful also. So it looks like another bad board. What are the chances of two in a row?

Quick question. Is there anything that I could be doing to damage the board while installing? Power is unplugged, I hook up all connections and connect power supply lady before plugging into the wall.

rickgburton

Staff member
Try to enter diagnostic test mode again. If none of the indicators or display turns on press the POWER button to enter setting mode. If indicators come on, try to change the function for the button used to activate the diagnostic test mode. If that button fails to change the function, something is faulty with the button, and it is not possible to enter the diagnostic mode. If no indicators come on after pressing POWER button, visually check that the P10 connector is inserted all the way into the machine/motor control. Visually check that the user interface assembly is properly inserted into the front console. If both visual checks pass, replace the user interface assembly.

Chinton

Premium Member
All buttons on interface work. Checked P10 and user interface connection. All good. Even unplugged and reseated. Washer will rinse/spin and drain/spin cycles. Only issue is will not fill with water. Just tried diagnostic mode again and could not get to go into mode. Must be my counting. We only have 10 fingers here in TN. Guess I need to take a shoe off to get to 15 when in counting the seconds. LOL!!!!!!