FIXED WTW6600SW2 Cabrio has loud noise during spin

rmherbert

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW6600SW2
Brand
Whirlpool
Help Jake I have a Whirlpool Cabrio model WTW6600SW2 it is almost 2 years old only use 2 or 3 times a week just started making a very loud noise only during spin sounds like a car bearing going bad. Does it just need some grease.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I haven't had the chance to work on the Cabrio models, as I quit Sears at the time they were coming on the market in 2005.

I'll ask another tech. to see if they can assist you.

Jake

TechnicianBrian

Appliance Tech
The cabrio has a shaft that runs between the wash plate and the rotor located under the washer. The usual cause for noise during spin is something that has made it's way between the spin basket and tub. But it's best to try and determine if the noise is from under the washer or inside the washer, that way you aren't randomly taking things apart. See if you can pin point the location of the noise, and include the model number as there are two versions of the Cabrio.

I can fix it

Premium Member
I am a Sear's tech and it is the bearing more than likely, I also own a cabrio myself. Is it a loud, constant roar when it spins? If so you have to replace the W10193886 tub itself, comes with the bearing. Pretty time consuming job, but I've done several. The tub might have a 10 yr warr, ck owners manuel.

ptbrunet

Premium Member
This has just started happening to my Cabrio, Model WTW6600SW2 SN CW0571434. It was purchased from Sears 2/15/08 for $850 ($1000 with delivery/takeaway/tax, with no extended warranty). Is the tub/bearing something I could fix myself with standard tools? I've made washer repairs in the past (quite a few years back though). If so how much is the part? And where do I get the manual? What would a typical cost be if I had a repairman do it? How common is the problem and what are the odds of a subsequent failure within 12 years?

Last edited:

rmherbert

Premium Member
Noise from Cabrio during spin

My noise is coming from under the machine during spin with a load a constant loud roar. I placed it on its back because the bottom is open and I removed the motor rotor which had grease splater on the outside. On inside found the grease was coming from the bearing on the shaft also found two small cracks in rotor on oppisite sides. My question is can I just replace the bearing or do I have to replace the tub to change the bad bearing. Also can I use apoxy to stop the cracks from spreding.Thanks

MikeOK

Cabrio Spin cycle noise - Fix.

My Cabrio shook and made noises in the spin cycle. It was getting worse by the load. 6 months after the warranty ran out.

The problem was that the main shaft seal under the impeller leaked and the top and bottom bearings were rusting & corroding. The main shaft also rusted and seized against the main shaft.

The standard fix is replace the tub - which has the shaft, seal and both bearings attached. This is $$$$ and $250+ + labour, shipping taxes, time, etc. And this may not fix the fatal flaw that,
Steel + water- rust & corrosion.

As a retired guy - I can't afford this!

If you are really mechanically minded and experienced, you may be able to fix this. I think I have.

I replaced the bearings with stainless steel ones, re-processed my rusty (black oxide coated ) main shaft with Zinc phosphate coating (By a pro coating shop.), cleaned the drain hole in the top bearing chamber and re-assembled with top quality wheel bearing grease.

After 2 months and 50+ loads later, no leaks and low noise. Fingers are crossed. Total cost about $50. (Coating shop was free- run by a female who understood my wife's problem. Thank god.)

Whirlpool should sell the seals, bearings and shaft. Because shipping the whole tub is very $$$ and unnecessary.
Under warranty, it is OK for the service guy to replace modules - rather than fix them. But after warranty, a lot of DIY's fix their own stuff and tub is too $$$.

Regards,
Mike

lcools

I have the same issue with my kenmore apt size washer (110.297) (loud whirring and grease splatter) and am trying to figure out the possible labour costs.

The drum (value of $350 according Sears Canada) is covered by a lifetime warranty. But I have to spend $100 to get an 10 minute check and estimate of the labour. It also has a leaky hose I was in the middle of replacing. I'd have to fix this to get the estimate.

I'd love any advice!
thanks,
LC

TechnicianBrian

Appliance Tech
If the rotor is cracked, I would suspect if you are not already getting an error message, you soon will be as the crack expands and changes the shape of the rotor during spin. I have seen some examples of cracks being repaired with JB Weld on the outside and as far as I know, they are still working.

icknicknot

Premium Member
cabrio drive shaft and bearing removal

took awhile but i finally found how to remove the shaft and bearings from the lower drum.

You can however find the bearings at your local bearing shop for less than $10.00! I changed the bearings in 2 hours, really simple job. Just lay the machine on it's side after removing the inner tub and remove the rotor (1 center bolt and then 4 bolts under rotor removes the stator) Then simply remove the threaded nut from the shaft and tap the shaft out from the bottom. After removing the shaft, tap out the lower bearing and replace both.That's it!But good luck finding the seal. It's a shame they won't even sell us the parts.

icknicknot

Premium Member
problem resolved

well i finally got it fixed without replacing the outer tub which, would have been $200-$300. i have a whirlpool cabrio WTW6600SW0. i pulled the bearings, drive shaft, and sleeve. went to a local bearing supply motion industries and got 2 new sealed bearings $25. i thought about going with sealed stainless or ceramic, but, that would have been $120-$400 for just the bearings. they told me that it takes a long time for the regular sealed type to get corroded anyway. then i took the drive shaft and sleeve to jar-tex a local metal finisher and had them sandblast and electroless nickel coat it for $40, making sure they masked the outer nut threads and the holes on the ends to keep from messing up the tolerances. they said to go with nickel as zinc and cadmium wouldn't withstand any wear. put it all back together with some heavy duty grease and it turned out great. now my washer doesn't sound like an f-16 on the tarmac, all for around $65!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job.:)

I would of assisted you, but I've never worked on these Cabrio models as of yet.

Jake

icknicknot

Premium Member
seals

as for the seals..... i couldn't find one that were an exact fit. so, what i ended up doing was soaking the original ones (agitator bolt seal and shaft seal) in vinegar (any mild acid will do...acetic, citric, sulfamic)to remove the hard water/soap deposits(alkali) and then scrubbed them with a toothbrush... good as new. if your washer is old or if you have been using non-he or too much soap you will find that there is a tan concrete like scum in the bottom of the outer tub, use a paint scraper and a shop-vac to remove, when you have it back together run cleaning cycle with bleach. also, as long as you have the inner tub out remove the lint filter and clean (white square thing with two screws on the bottom of outer tub).

Last edited:

gmath

Hi,

Thank you for giving me such hope with this expensive washer. I never thought I would spend so much money and having so many failures with this washer. Please tell me the part number and where I can purchase the bearing. I am going to take mine apart and see about replacing the bearing. Thank you

icknicknot

Premium Member
i got mine from a local warehouse called motion industries they're in fort worth, tx. finding a local supplier is your best bet. there is no way of just looking up a part number for this. unless you have the same model as mine the bearing sizes and therefore part numbers will be different.

I had to tear my washer apart and take the bearings to them so that they could take measurements of the inside/outside diameter and thickness of them in order to match them up correctly. it's much cheaper and better to do it the way i did....but, it's a pain and your washer is going to be torn apart until you can get new bearings ordered and the shaft coated. let me know if you have the same model number as mine(WTW6600SW0). i can look back at my receipts later to see what the part numbers of the bearings were. and you can just order them from the internet.

Pete

Premium Member
Great detailed responses...getting ready to remove shaft and bearings from my Cabrio (WTW6600SW2). Any specs you have on the bearings would be useful. Thanks.

pgstinson

hi. i'm undertaking this job too and don't want to replace the whole tub. specs on the bearings and shaft would be GREAT oh and where i could buy them in toronto. thanks!