• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WTW8240YW0 Whirlpool Cabrio Swapping top

SyracuseDon

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW8240YW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi. I have a weird question. I broke the glass top to my girlfriend’s Cabrio Platinum WTW8240YW0. Yep, got in the doghouse for that one! The top was absolutely outrageous to replace, but I found a Craigslist listing for a washer and dryer Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum. Washer is very similar except for a metal top. After running it on clean and quick wash no leak but bearings are rather loud. Later we ran the normal, sheets, and bulk. Every cycle leaked out the bottom. Pump looked fine. Appears to be coming out in the center around the bearing. My girlfriend is moving in a few weeks and selling her house. So this is kind of temporarily there, then will go to my house. I was wondering if I could take the top off of the WTW8240YW0 and put on the base of the WTW8800YW0? It seems like that would be a quick fix since I still have both.

Changed last digit in model numbers from O to 0

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Can you not just change the lid? I think that would be a lot simpler than trying to determine if the controls and wiring and connectors, etc. are compatible.

They both appear to use the same top panel so I would think the lids should fit on each other.

JMO

BTW. The last digit of both of those model numbers is a zero not an "o".

Dan O.

PS. If the model and serial number are on the removed part, make sure you make a note of them on the washer afterward in case it needs service in the future or you may run into problems locating the correct parts for it.

SyracuseDon

Premium Member
No, I wish I could. The glass lid that I broke has a radius in the front. But the width and length of the whole lid assembly is the same. If the wiring is the same from the controls to the pump and motor I would think it’s doable.

SyracuseDon

Premium Member
I guess I’m just going to give it a try. If it doesn’t go on, I’ll just put it back. It’s worth the effort if it works. If not, just goes on to ‘screwed up again’ list...lol

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Before you get too far check the wiring going to the connectors under the tops on each machine and make sure they're both the same colours and positions. If any wires are missing or extra or different colours or different positions, it likely means the controls are not interchangeable and the tops likely can't be switched.

Dan O.