• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WW2780 Jenn-air oven keeps shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoppr

Premium Member
Model Number
WW2780
Brand
Jenn-Air
Hi....

I have a Jenn-air oven model WW2780 that keeps shutting off after being turned on, almost always during the preheat. From what I have seen it seems to stay on once going for a bit.

Any help troubleshooting is greatly appreciated or at least where to start. I have no experience repairing ovens but should be able to figure it out with some help.

Thanks in advance

Werner

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Start by checking the oven sensor with an ohm meter. It should read about 1100 ohms at room temperature.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree with Rick.

We need your full model#, click here to locate it: Help Me Find My Model Number - RepairClinic.com

Its either the oven sensor probe or the clock oven control board.

First check your oven sensor probe since its the least expensive of the two.:)

Pull your RANGE out from the wall, then unplug it OR turn the breaker off to it, then take the back access panel off and you will see a connector that goes to it, remove the connector and ohm test it.

Here's the oven temp. sensor for your model:
Temperature Sensor 12001656 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video:

Jake

whoppr

Premium Member
Hey Jake/Rick....

I will get the exact model when I get home. I use a multimeter every day so that part I can handle. As far as access to the sensor, any chance there is access to this from inside the oven. This is a wall unit and is a little more difficult to remove so it may make life a little easier if I can ohm this out from the front or inside the oven.

Thanks

Werner

rickgburton

Staff member
You might be able to check it from inside the oven it the plastic connector will fit through the hole. Don't force it. If it does fit be sure to put some tape around it so it doesn't fall back through when you disconnect it.

whoppr

Premium Member
So I might be out of luck on the model number. I found a plate bottom left where the door meets the oven, and a lot of it is scraped off. About all that is left other than Jenn-air and the fact that its in Indianapolis is that it consumes 5.6Kwatts. There appears to be an MO which I am guess is model at the top left of the label but everything is scraped off.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, don't worry about the model number for now. If we need it later we'll figure out something. Did the sensor check out?

whoppr

Premium Member
OK, don't worry about the model number for now. If we need it later we'll figure out something. Did the sensor check out?

I think Im going to have to pull the oven out unless I can pull just the back panel off the inside of the oven. I removed the screws for the temp sensor and there is quite a bit of insulation and have no idea whether the harness will even fit through the small hole. Im going to to try and quickly find a parts breakdown to see if the back panel will come out with the elements and sensor. Im probably going to have to remove the oven though. I was trying to avoid as Im not sure if the bracket for the microwave above needs removal as well

rickgburton

Staff member
You won't have to remove the microwave. Find something that is about the same height of the bottom of the oven like a stool or milk crate. Remove the 2 or 4 screws on each side of the oven. You'll need to open the oven door to access them. Pull the oven out until the bottom front can rest on the stool then slide it almost all the way out. Just far enough to take the top off. From there you can access almost everything.

whoppr

Premium Member
You won't have to remove the microwave. Find something that is about the same height of the bottom of the oven like a stool or milk crate. Remove the 2 or 4 screws on each side of the oven. You'll need to open the oven door to access them. Pull the oven out until the bottom front can rest on the stool then slide it almost all the way out. Just far enough to take the top off. From there you can access almost everything.

Im almost there. I did have to remove the microwave. Way too heavy for just me. It has a 110 plug on the top so I was able to unplug and remove after all the trim and bracket screws were remove.

I started this before seeing your post and am able to get a milk crate under it. Its not quite a high but should do the trick. Im glad I saw your post though because I cant get the oven all the way out. The power connection isnt long enough and is shielded in a conduit and I cant see how its screwed to the oven. Let me look at the top and see how it comes apart. Im glad I didnt unscrew the power connection since I think its hard to get back on.

BTW the breaker is off

My problem now is the power cord is too short and cant slide it all the way out. Its 220V in a conduit (I forget the name for it), it has an elbow and somehow screwed to the oven. Its not long enough and its tough for me to see how to get this either extended or unhooked from the oven.

rickgburton

Staff member
I looked up a similar oven. Is your microwave part of the oven? If the microwave is out, can't you just remove the top and you won't need to pull it out.

whoppr

Premium Member
I looked up a similar oven. Is your microwave part of the oven? If the microwave is out, can't you just remove the top and you won't need to pull it out.

Hey Rick...

Thanks so much for all the help so far. Its been a huge help and it would have taken me forever to got through this and Im sure I would have taken stuff apart that I shouldnt have.

So I took off the microwave. I also remove a bracket that is screwed to the oven and where the microwave sits. Once that was off, I was able to remove the top really easily as you said.

Once the top was removed, there is a nice wiring diagram in a plastic sleeve. Looking at it, there is a J2 connector that goes to the "Oven Sensor" which I assume is the same as the temp sensor we have been talking about. I removed the connector from J2 and the wires are nicely labeled. It looks like I just ohm out pins 5 and 8, but am not positive.

I was about to do ohm out these pins, but Mr Murphy decided to visit. My multimeter is dead and my wife is going out to get a 9V battery (hoping thats it)

Werner

whoppr

Premium Member
I was able to snag a 9V battery from the stud finder. If I am measuring this correctly, it is pointing to the temp sensory. I measured pins 5 and 8 on the plug. It measured 30Meg and is more than likely almost completely open since it fluctuates.

If you do have a wiring diagram, would you mind double checking where I am measuring? Im pretty sure its correct but could use a check

whoppr

Premium Member
Sorry for all the confusion. I measured at the wrong spot the first time. I pulled the connector off the controller board and remesured 5 and 8 and Im getting 1075 ohms so it seems to be close enough.

Does this point to the controller board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, controller board, but recheck your model#, your missing a letter after the "0" at the end of your model#. As they make a couple different control boards for this model.

Should be:
WW2780B
WW2780B-C
WW2780W
WW2780W-C

Jake

whoppr

Premium Member
Yes, controller board, but recheck your model#, your missing a letter after the "0" at the end of your model#. As they make a couple different control boards for this model.

Should be:
WW2780B
WW2780B-C
WW2780W
WW2780W-C

Jake

Thanks Jake....I cannot find any other spot for the model number. Ive looked and if its in the back at the bottom, I cant read it since I can only get the oven partly out of the cabinet.

How do we know its the controller and not the relay board?

Im trying to remove the controller board now. I got four screws removed but not coming out easy. Im assuming there is a connection between it and the LCD on the front, but am not sure. I think I got all the screws

whoppr

Premium Member
Hey Jake...

I got the controller board out. The knob on the front was keeping me from getting it out.

The board is Jenn-air PN 205982. Im going to keep looking for a MFG PN. I hope the tag on the bottom left between the door and the oven is not the only spot.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, I meant the relay board.

That part#205982 comes up with nothing.

Jake

whoppr

Premium Member
I added the relay board to my order and will ship back what I dont need. If both are bad at least I have both in hand.

Thanks Jake and Rick for all the help. It is really appreciated and it was a huge help. It would have taken me forever to dig through this on my own and probably would have taken apart stuff I should not have.

Thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.