WWA6600MAL Squeaks during wash cycle

bsaucer

Premium Member
Model
WWA6600MAL
Brand
GE
Washer squeaks during agitation. Eventually, the agitator rises up a few inches, even after I hammered it back down. If I pull out the agitator from the machine and run the wash cycle, it doesn't squeak.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The piece you need, agitator splines, is no longer available. The agitator (with the splines) is no longer available. The splines are a rubber bearing with the aluminum agitator splines in the center. The aluminum splines has broke loose from the rubber bearing and is turning inside the rubber bearing. That's the squeak you hear. As it turns inside the rubber bearing the water causes the agitator to float up and off. When it does, the rubber piece remains in the agitator and the aluminum splines remains on the transmission shaft. I've never been able to fix that particular problem using different adhesives/glues.

App shows them in stock. Make sure it looks like yours
WH1X1944 Agitator Spline/coupling

bsaucer

Premium Member
There's a black smooth rubber cylinder thing mounted on the main shaft, with the smaller splined shaft sticking out of it on top. If I look into the bottom of the agitator, I see a metal thing up inside the top of it.

Also, what is the white plastic collar that sits at the bottom of the shaft?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I always take that compatibility tool with a grain of salt.

Its for your model, RepairClinic confirmed it: GE Washing Machine Model WWA6600MAL Parts

Its the 5th from the bottom in that parts list link.:)

Jake

bsaucer

Premium Member
I drilled a hole in the top of the agitator, and used a screwdriver to push out the metal piece, and then the rubber piece.

bsaucer

Premium Member
How was the rubber permanently attached to the metal piece in the first place. It appears to me the metal piece just wedges inside the rubber.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Nope, it's attached with heat or glue. I've had them get stuck on the transmission shaft and the only way to get it off was to heat it with a torch. I had to cut the rubber off first and it is attached very well. Sometimes the the rubber piece wears out and slips out of the agitator or the water floats the agitator off the coupling and the entire coupler remains on the shaft.