WWSE5240G0WW Washer leak issue

eng3

Premium Member
Model Number
WWSE5240G0WW
Brand
GE
I have a GE WWSE5240G0WW. From looking under the tub, I see water leaking from the center and assumed a tub seal issue. The leak was small, maybe 1 drop every 2 seconds.

It was quite difficult getting the washer disassembled. I had to spray penetrating oil and it took several hours just to get the Agitator Coupling off. The hub nut was so stuck that it took a full 10 seconds with an impact wrench to get it off. It took a few minutes to get the split ring off. The hub washer was also stuck. It took a few hours of penetrating oil to get that off.

The tub seal was quite deteriorated. I cleaned out the area the best I could and installed the new tub seal. Per videos online, I put dishwashing soap on there to help it in. It went in quite easily, I thought it would have been a very tight fit. It was loose enough that if I tried to rotate it, I could spin it with my hand a little.

I tried filling the tub with water up to the seal to check for leaks and saw the leak was worse, a small steady stream of water.

Thinking, that maybe the seal needs weight on it or needs to run a cycle to fully seat properly, I reassembled the washer. I noticed that with the groove on the shaft, the tub washer doesnt touch the top of the tub seal. I thought that it was supposed to hold the seal down but perhaps not. anyways, after reassembly and running a cycle, the leak was the same, maybe a little worse.

I disassembled again (much smoother this time though the agitator coupling was still hard to get off). I noticed the tub seal is now up on the shaft. I guess spinning pulled it out? I attached a photo

I'd appreciate some advice on how to proceed. Perhaps, the seal is defective?

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

In your photo of the tub seal it looks like you don't have it pushed down all the way. Watch the video below and you will see.

Here's the tub seal for your model:
Tub Seal WH02X10383

Watch this video:

[video=youtube;KCFFQiakXg4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCFFQiakXg4[/video]

Jake

eng3

Premium Member
I guess I didn't explain it clearly enough in my original post.

I DID push it down all the way and when submerged it still leaks.

I tried doing a cycle (including spinning) and after taking it apart, it looks like it worked its way back out.

The photo was from it worked its way out.

However just pushing it back in is not enough as it still leaks when it is submerged.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, I've replaced many of these same tub seals and never had it leak again.

Jake

eng3

Premium Member
Should anything be on top of the seal holding it down? should there be a gap between the seal and the washer?
How tight should the fit be? I was able to remove it by using the 3 tabs that stick up and spinning it a few times

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Should anything be on top of the seal holding it down? How tight should the fit be?
No, it should be a very tight fit where it sits.

Jake

eng3

Premium Member
I'm not sure what else to try now.

I don't really understand how the seal is supposed to work. When the shaft spins, wouldn't it quickly wear out the rubber?
Is the rubber supposed to expand from heat?

All I did to test was to fill the tub up with water without the basket installed.
But with the last seal, I did completely reassemble everything and it still leaked

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

When the shaft spins, wouldn't it quickly wear out the rubber?
Is the rubber supposed to expand from heat?
No, it would not wear out the rubber.

No, the rubber does not expand from the heat.

All it does is make a tight seal between the shaft and the outer tub assembly.

Jake

eng3

Premium Member
It was still pretty easy to get in there. Now that I let it sit in there a few hours, I can't spin it in the hole very much anymore and I can't get it back out. So it is a little tighter.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, let it sit for awhile, if it still leaks put RTV sealant where it mounts in the plastic area then mount the tub seal in it, and let it cure for 24 hours.

Jake

eng3

Premium Member
Well, let it sit for awhile, if it still leaks put RTV sealant where it mounts in the plastic area then mount the tub seal in it, and let it cure for 24 hours.

Jake
I had the same thought but I cant get the seal out anymore and I'm afraid of damaging it

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, leave it in then and use it and see if it still leaks.

Jake

eng3

Premium Member
still leaks. I ended up giving up on this issue because my coworker had a friend with a free washer for me.

I havent decided what I will do with this, I may try to work on it more but I'm out of ideas.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is very strange, I sure wish you were closer to me, I'd bring it to my shop and see what's going on. I've replaced many of those same GE tub seals and never had one leak.

Jake

eng3

Premium Member
I suspect that perhaps there is some scratch or pitting or something on the shaft that I can't see that is allowing the water to get through.

Or, perhaps my tub "expanded" and it isnt squeezing the seal tight enough.

Also, I tested it by filling the tub with water to about 1cm above the seal while the basket and cap was not installed. Maybe this was expanding the tub because the top plastic circular cap was not installed. Maybe that keeps the tub from bowing outward? Though with the non-genuine seal, I had tried running the washer with everything installed and it leaked the same.

I still don't understand the design of the whole thing. It seems like the friction between the shaft spinning and the rubber seal would create alot of heat and easily wear out the seal.

Anyways, its in my garage now so I could still work on it in theory. I'm trying to sell it now.

Last edited: