YGY397LXUS04 Whirlpool Range Element Won't Cut Out

Youngjames

Model Number
YGY397LXUS04
Brand
Whirlpool
Recently changed my baking element as it gave out. There was a white burned spot in it and it no longer heated up. I ordered the element and replaced it no problem. I used the stove that night and my food burned up in no time at all. Never thought nothing of it at the time, and assumed I lost track of time. However, it happened again tonight. Upon further inspection, the element comes on, and stays on. The oven beeps when it reaches the set temp, but element keeps going. Where do I start? Google tells me circuit board. Not fun, as the board is close on 500 bucks by the time it's delivered. Any way to diagnose it without buying a new one?

Also, I cannot find a repair manual anywhere for it. I have no idea how to get to the circuit board since my panel is on front of the range. Any help or guidance? Thanks!

Model: Whirlpool YGY397LXUS04

Circuit board model number?? WP8507P390

Why is it so expensive??!

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

It is possible the control was damaged when the element let go.

Electronic Oven Control

I found no manual.

jeff.

Youngjames

Afraid that would be the case. So I guess there's not much point starting anywhere else first (temp sensor, probe etc?) That part you sent will cost me 420cad by the time it's converted and shipped. Awful 😒. Ah well, what can you do

jeff1

Staff member
So I guess there's not much point starting anywhere else first (temp sensor, probe etc?)
There is no harm in checking....but what you described sounds like something more like the control was damaged with the element let go.

1000-1100 ohms at room temp.

Oven temperature sensor kit

jeff.

Youngjames

Thanks for your help so far. Like you suspected, it appears to be the oven control module. I have it ordered and it'll be here tomorrow.

Any do's or don'ts so I don't ruin it by accident? I had the power off and took off the front plate and sure enough, easy to get at. Is it as simple as unplugging everything and swap out the boards? Is the module stuck to the front panel some how with the buttons on it?

jeff1

Staff member
Any do's or don'ts so I don't ruin it by accident?
Pull and push the wires, try not to remove them all at once and get confused. Takes pics if needed.

Is the module stuck to the front panel some how with the buttons on it?
The key/touch panal? If yes, it is peel and stick/stuck on.

Oven touchpad switch membrane in black

jeff.

Youngjames

Ok, so upon further inspection, I won't have to worry about the key panel right? It appears to be just 2 screws holding the circuit board on and a bunch of wires. I don't have to worry about separating the sticky adhesive for this job do I?

jeff1

Staff member
Unless replacing it, no you should be able to just leave that alone.

jeff.