FIXED YKESC307HS8 Kitchenaid slide in range new display not working

Mzungu

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake! It's working intermittently , and I am stalling on the solder project, but feel that with your and the earlier info (after reading it several times and studying the photos and my board), that I am ready to tackle it when I have some time.

I'll let you know hot it goes.

Cheers, MZ

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok MZ, sounds good.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Mzungu

Premium Member
Hi, Jake, Well, the light panel has been on and off all week, and today I decided to give it a try. I went out to Radio Shack last week and the guy there was very helpful - said he had the same thing happen in a board in his car, and fixed it with a re-slolder.
Sold me a 15 amp fine tip soldering outfit for about $15.

I turned the face plate with board upside down, and managed to straghten the tabs so I could lift the board and access the back, where the pins go through it. I re read above, and realized that the picture was of the back, so I did not have to pull that 12-pin plug connector (13, but one is not used) - which is a good thing because it is really hooked in there!

I was unable to disconnect the ribbons on the right side of the board, but I propped that side up on the stove top, trying to protect the things that are sticking up on it from being mashed onto the burners while I was tinkering with the other end, and managed to move the board out enough to access the pins. With good light and an old-fashioned magnifying glass I could just make out cracking around that far left pin, just like in the photo above.

I did not try to add any solder, fearing that I would mess up and either burn through the board or short across to the next pin or line.

I managed to put the thing back onto the tabs and re-bend them - and (I forgot to mention it earlier) replace the little loopy thing that is clipped through on the far left - maybe a fiber optic ? There were little ink marks at the tabs and it - apparently noting the places that needed to be disconnected to remove the board.

So far, it seems to be working, so I guess I did not fry it at least!

cross you fingers, and hopefully my experience will help others in the future as well.

Thanks again for your help!

cheers, MZ

Resized_DSCN4353.jpgResized_DSCN4357.jpgResized_DSCN4350.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job MZ, sounds like your back in business.:)

Jake

63Ford

A big THANK YOU to everybody who offered tips in this thread. Between your photos and the solid instructions, I made the repair in about 15 mins! Pretty much as I expected from your posts, pins 1 and 13 both had cracked solder joints. I dusted off my old soldering station from my radio days and repaired the joints with "real" solder! By the way, my wife says "thanks for nothing!" She thought she was getting a new range!! ;)

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job on yours too 63Ford.:)

Jake

MikeyG

Kitchenaid oven control board

I have this same stove. My problem occurred today as I was using my oven. I all of a sudden blew the breaker, which took out my display on my oven and microwave above. I flipped the breaker on and my microwave came back but my display on oven did not. So when I took it apart I kept my fingers crossed that if I just wiggled the connectors it would come back to life on the display. But I got nothing. So I then checked the pins and they also look good. Then next to the two pin connector I noticed a burned out spot. Any ideas on where I should go from here? I have a picture but I don't know how to add it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Look at the toolbar in this editor box that shows the picture frame icon, just click it and upload the photo.

Jake

sharen29

Thanks so much. I did this to mine which didn't work for years. Now working perfect! I soldered the leftmost pin on the board and voila.. we are in business again with a lovely display to admire. Easy to do even for a 60 yr old woman with no soldering experience. Practiced a bit first the soldering not on the board. I'm a happy old lady! Your advice was Superb.. or should I say Superba! LOL.. dry humour. Thanks though.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job.:)

Jake

MarioC

Premium Member
thank you all

A big THANK YOU to everybody who offered tips in this thread. Between your photos and the solid instructions, I made the repair in about 15 mins! Pretty much as I expected from your posts, pins 1 and 13 both had cracked solder joints. I dusted off my old soldering station from my radio days and repaired the joints with "real" solder! By the way, my wife says "thanks for nothing!" She thought she was getting a new range!! ;)
I found this thread because my kitchenaid superba was acting the same way, display disappeared and would come back when being used or rapped.
I disassembled the control board as described by the previous posters and found the culprit. it was the TWO pins on the far left side of the board. I soldered them up and, low and behold, after reassembling everything and turning the power back on, everything worked!!!
it took longer for me to register with this site to thank everybody, than it did to make the repair!!!
thank you all and merry Christmas and happy new year to all.
MarioC

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
it took longer for me to register with this site to thank everybody, than it did to make the repair!!!
Did you use our facebook connect to register? That only takes a few seconds.:)

Glad to hear yours is fixed too.:)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Jake

MarioC

Premium Member
Hi jake. Not a Facebook person. Just kidding about difficulty registering. Just making a point about how easy the fix was.
Thanks all.
MarioC

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok MarioC, sounds good.:)

Jake

kevinkay

YEAH! the re-solder worked for me too!
Mine looked cracked on the 2 pin connector but I went ahead and de-soldered and re-soldered all the pins.
One thing to add......if you get too hot and there is no support under the pins they can fall out or shift. I propped the board with the pins supported underneath after I realized I pushed the first one through
THANKS!!