• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ZET3038SH3SS GE Monograms oven clicking noise

Firemedic

Premium Member
Model Number
ZET3038SH3SS
Brand
GE
I have this really bad clicking noise that I believe it is from the right switch sail assembly. I ordered a new one and installed it myself. Needles to say it is still clicking. I’ve been told that if you adjust it by bending it, the noise should stop. I have tried and am having no luck. Does anyone know if the switch is even necessary? I would love just to disconnect it at. Thanks in advance

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I don't know, other than what I mentioned in that earlier thread, I will ask Rick.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's one I haven't heard before but Jake is correct, sounds like a relay. Firemedic, you can't bypass any switches. That was a loud enough click you ought to be able to pinpoint it. This is what you got to do; Pull the machine most of the way out of its installation. use your toolbox or a stool to support the front. Remove the top panel, if there's one behind the console remove that one also. Start the oven and pinpoint the sound.

Firemedic

Premium Member
I did remove the oven and the top. The clicking noise is coming from the small little black button in which the sail arm makes contact to. I was just curious what the arm controls ? If I can just disconnect it and leave the arm in place

rickgburton

Staff member
Can you take a few pictures and post them here? Can you also post a copy of the wiring diagram? I don't have that one.

Firemedic

Premium Member
The arrow is pointing to the little button. The fan in the back is pushing the arm and hitting the button constantly

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, so a sail switch is installed inline on one of the power legs, usually between the control and the elements on the common L2 side of the elements. The cooling fan forces air against the sail and closes the switch. Should the cooling fan fail the control loses one side of power and the elements can't turn on. Without the cooling fan heat build up on the electronics will cause a board failure or worse, start a fire.

Now, if I understand you correctly you're saying there's not enough force against the sail to keep the switch closed so the sail is kind of bouncing in the wind so to speak, opening and closing the switch which is supplying power to the relay. It's the relay you hear clicking. If that's correct, you can adjust it by bending the sail up. Put your thumb on the sail lever over the switch button and hold the sail tight against the top of the switch while lifting up on the sail. This will make it so it takes less force against the sail to close the switch. You might also be able to channel the air more on the sail. See image:
Snapshot_1.jpg

Firemedic

Premium Member
So when the oven is on the fan should be pushing the sail against the button. It shouldn’t be bouncing like it is. The button should remain pressed the whole time the oven is on. Is that correct ? The oven temp works fine, it just clicks
I really appreciate all the advice you’ve been given me. It has been a great help.

rickgburton

Staff member
Correct. I don't have the wiring diagram for that model but that's normally how the sail switch works.

Firemedic

Premium Member
OK now here is a new one. I have adjust the sail as many different ways as I can. I noticed that the clicking noise does not happen when the front display is take off. It’s like when the airflow is better the clicking stops. Strange ?

rickgburton

Staff member
If this was a service call I would find a way to channel the air to keep the switch closed. No missing panels or brackets??

Firemedic

Premium Member
There doesn’t seem to have any missing panels or brackets that I am aware of. I will try to look at the parts list. It would be so much easier if I just disconnected that damn sail. Lol

Firemedic

Premium Member
I have a video of the oven now making a buzzing noise as well as the clicking. I’m unable to post the video. Is there a number or email I can send it to you ? I’m thinking that it is the relay switch

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Upload the video to Youtube, then post the video here.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, Rick should be here shortly.:)

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
I can't tell what's clicking in the video. I would need to pull it out and actually take it apart to find out.