• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED ZFSB23DRDSS GE Refrigerator - Water/Ice dispenser intermittent - Shuts off compressor when used

woodygg

Premium Member
Model Number
ZFSB23DRDSS
Brand
GE
This problem just started -

When pressing the water or ice dispenser (the results are exactly the same with both) - the little green lights on the display will turn off and then back on (sometimes) and will usually not dispense water/ice. Occasionally they work.

Another symptom - when pressing the dispenser, I can hear the compressor shut off, and then when releasing turn back on. The fridge has a chill/thaw function for the bottom drawer in the fridge, and that was running yesterday to thaw some meat. When I'd press the water/ice actuator (the lever you push against to dispense), that would turn off. Release the lever and that would turn back on (just like the compressor). When I'd press the lever, the fridge light would stay on however. I'm not using the dispenser right now for fear it's (obviously) shorting something out when used.

Thanks!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The problem sounds like the motherboard is shorting out and causing the compressor to shut down when you press the dispenser. These motherboards have been very common for doing that when they get age on them.

Here's the motherboard for your model:
WR49X10152 Main Control Board

Follow the instruction sheet that comes with it, that is very important to do.

Jake

woodygg

Premium Member
Thank Jake, will try this. Another question - it has now intermittently started to cycle on/off - or at least what I'm seeing/hearing is a sound every few seconds of it sounding like it's trying to start up - then it stops. The ice water light will go on and off when it's doing this to -going on and off the same time as the sounds. Think it's still the board, or something else as well?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new motherboard fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake