• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ZICS360NRJLH GE Built in Bottom freezer - return vent keeps freezing

aqan

Premium Member
Model Number
ZICS360NRJLH
Brand
GE
Hi, A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the fridge wasn't getting cool enough (45) and the freezer was super cold (-25). We had someone come and look they opened up the whole damn thing and then told us the door might have been left open overnight and defrosting for 48 hours should take care of it. It helped but went back to fridge not cooling again in 2 weeks or so. I defrosted for a day and at least two cups of water came out. Fridge worked well for a week or so and now back to not cooling..
The freezer gasket was replaced recently and should not be the issue. I do not want to call an outsider into the house due to some concerns with COVID.
I would really appreciate if someone can help me diagnose and fix the issue..
The fridge is approximately 11 year old and has been serving us well since we moved in 5 year ago.

Additional info: the thermistor went bad late last year and the same guy replaced it after 6 weeks of hit and miss troubleshooting.

Regards,

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

So its the return air vent that keeps frosting up? Not the evaporator coil?

Jake

aqan

Premium Member
Thanks for replying.

There’s a bit of frost on the coil but that gets cleared every now and then. I’ll take a picture of coil and post here when I get home.
My assessment of return vent freezing is based on the amount of water that came out during Defrosting. I tried the Airflow 101 test but couldn’t feel the air coming out in both cases.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok got it! Usually when the return air duct gets clogged with frost/ice that indicates you have a air leak coming in.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, sorry.

Hopefully another tech that's more familiar with these GE Built-in models will know and tell you how.

Jake