• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ZIRP360NXARH Temperature won't go below 40 degrees

Dan The Man

Premium Member
Model Number
ZIRP360NXARH
Brand
GE
Fridge won't go below 40 degrees. Has been like this for maybe 2-3 years. Feeling like it is time to repair it.

Similar thread was started by another user (Boonie) on 2/1/19. Their's was the "integrated" model and mine is the "professional" (presumably noted with the "P" in the model #).
Manufactured 08/08. Bought the fridge new in '09.

I have a very similar model, but not exactly, so I wanted to start a new thread in case there are different mechanics (and not just a different door).

Also, I have a tear in the door gasket, (Which will likely occur again even when I replace it with new due to the fridge being installed only 6" away from adjacent wall...poor GE Advanced Planning Information Guide...GE says 4" will get door to open 90 degrees...drawers still drag along gasket...but that's another issue and nothing is likely going to change there).

Any thoughts???

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Dan,

When did the door gasket get a tear in it? Did it start at the same time it stopped cooling properly?

Have you checked to make sure all the fans are running inside the refrigerator and the condenser fan motor located in the back of the refrigerator, next to the compressor, after you pulled it out from the wall?

Also look at the evaporator coil frost pattern and take a photo of it. Its located behind the back panel inside the refrigerator.

Normal would be thin layer of frost on all the coils from top to bottom.

Look at these examples:
(click to enlarge)
Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

Dan The Man

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, here's where I'm at:

Gasket got torn within 1-2 years...well before problems with cooling started. (Limitation of the tear is: vinyl is torn, magnet is in tact...doesn't seem catastrophic)

I have identified 1 fan in the fridge. It is in the top compartment, next to the compressor and it is running. Are there other fans that I should be looking for?

I spent way too much time (struggling) pulling the fridge out away from the wall and (struggling) reinstalling it centered, level and flush. I let the door stay open way too long and I let the food sit out way too long. I opted to put the food back in the fridge after being on the counter for 2-3 hours. I left the bottom drawers removed so I can take the panel off (hopefully) tomorrow to examine the coil. I didn't do it today as I spent too much time doing the other stuff and by the time I got to it, I felt that it wouldn't be an accurate representation of its condition. (Yeah, I know...I should have did it first but I screwed up...I thought I had to look at it from the rear of the fridge...big reading comprehension error on my part. :wall:)

I did try to take a gander at the coil (even with the cover on) and I saw a frost accumulation towards the bottom left (as I looked at it) and perhaps a small amount on the top left. I will verify (hopefully) tomorrow after the fridge has a chance to "reset to normal operation". Stat is set for 34 deg. I will photograph the coil (hopefully) tomorrow.

It has been 10 hours since I closed the door with the food placed back in it. It was 54 deg then and is 51 deg now. (Recall previously that it would hover between 39-41 deg). Wife is surely going to be pissed at me. Ill check the temp in the morning (6-7 hrs from now) but I sure as heck didn't improve anything.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Dan The Man

Premium Member
Jake,

- I opened the fridge and pushed the light switch (to simulate a closed door). I placed my hand beneath the 2 vents (circled in RED) in my photo AND also beneath the 2 vents (circled in BLUE) in my photo AND also beneath the 2 vents (circled in GREEN) in my photo. These 6 were all pushing cold air (so I feel it is safe to assume that their associated fans are running without having to do further disassembly). There was 1 vent (circled in YELLOW) that didn’t seem to be pushing any air. But I don't view this as the issue since 6 of 7 seem to be pushing air.

- I took 2 photos of the coil (with cover on...but we can see what’s going on). The photo of the left half shows frost on the bottom left. The photo of the right half shows no frost.

- Additional info: After being having the door closed and running over last night, the temp dropped to 46 deg. After being closed an additional 7 hours during today, it dropped to 41 deg. (To recap, it took about 26 hours to go from 54–>41 deg).

vents.jpgleft half coil.jpgright half coil.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dan, the frost pattern in your photos looks like you have a sealed system problem.

You'll need to have GE come out and fix it for you, normal consumers can't do sealed system work.

Jake

Dan The Man

Premium Member
I have business relationships with a number of HVAC / commercial refrigeration contractors (folks that legally and ethically work with refrigerant). Would you think that I can tap into their resources or do you feel that this is too specialized and I should just bite the bullet and call GE? (In my area GE makes it so incredibly difficult to schedule an appointment that is even halfway convenient to me, day or time, and I would absolutely need to be away from my bread and butter.)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have business relationships with a number of HVAC / commercial refrigeration contractors (folks that legally and ethically work with refrigerant). Would you think that I can tap into their resources or do you feel that this is too specialized and I should just bite the bullet and call GE?
I'd just contact GE.

(In my area GE makes it so incredibly difficult to schedule an appointment that is even halfway convenient to me, day or time, and I would absolutely need to be away from my bread and butter.)
In that case try your friends in the HVAC business first.

GE will charge you a small fortune anyways to fix it.

Jake

Dan The Man

Premium Member
UPDATE:
Since I have a 12 year warranty on the parts for the sealed system, I'm going with GE to do the repair.

The fine folks from Monogram Preferred (GE) will coming between 8 and 5 tomorrow. They are conveniently located in my area on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Sadly, "they don't carry refrigerant; that part would have to be ordered" and also "there is no way for you to send that picture [of your coil] to the technician".

Seems simple enough (to me) that they'd carry refrigerants on the van. It's not exactly a model specific part. (In my mind it's the equivalent of an auto mechanic going to Auto Zone to buy brake cleaner every time he does a brake job).
$99.95 for the trip charge and an estimate on the repair and another day away from work to complete the repair.
I'm doubling down for an extra $25 for them to look at the under counter ice maker while they're here and tell me that I need a new supply valve.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear you have a 12 year warranty on the sealed system parts. That will help lower the cost.:)

Let us know what happens.

Jake

Dan The Man

Premium Member
Glad to hear you have a 12 year warranty on the sealed system parts. That will help lower the cost.:)

Let us know what happens.

Jake

Diagnosis:
slow leak.
Actions:
The tech is going to be replacing the coil.
The unit doesn't need to be pulled out.
Going to braze the valve on top too.
Gave it a little sip of 134a to hold me over:biggrin-new:
He ordered the coil and will be back to replace it next week.

Dan The Man

Premium Member
It was a blustering 32.6 degrees this morning (in the fridge).
Time for a (n)ice cold glass of milk aaaaannnd maybe its also time to change the setting from 34 to 36.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.