• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ZISB480DMC GE Refrigerator - freezer cold, refrigerator warm - ice chute leaks

jimaguiar

Premium Member
Model Number
ZISB480DMC
Brand
GE
Background: Unit roughly 13 years old. Ice chute flap does not appear to seal, even after being replaced several times. It seems like air was leaking into the chute and causing freezing in the fan above the freezer. Refrigerator started to warm. Had a tech come who pulled it apart, it defrosted, he moved the flap and everything started working. After replacing the flap again the freezer would get cold, -15+ and the refrigerator would hover around 40-45. He sealed the chute and there was no change. Replaced temperature sensors, fan, air damper control, ice chute flap - no change. I have re-sealed the ice chute, changed temps to 0 and 40 degrees and turned on the express chill to try and get air movement. No change. He things the freezer door is warped which is causing the ice chute to not seal properly. I don't care about ice at this point, I want to get the refrigerator chilling,

The tech said he saw the fan come on and the damper moving before closing everything up.

I have gone through the parts diagrams and some of the posts on this site for ideas. With the freezer working "well" - is it worth testing anything on the main board? Or does this still seem like a damper issue? Is there another fan that moves the air after the damper?

The tech is doing his research, I am paralleling the effort. I am hoping one of us comes up with an idea to try an get this thing back cooling!

Thank you!!!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Leave the machine plugged in and running. Access the evaporator and check the frost pattern on the coils. Take a pic and post it here.

jimaguiar

Premium Member
Good evening! Admittedly I am not sure how to access the evaporator. I was about to try when I realized that there was no call for refrigeration - the logic in the board is satisfied. The settings, at the moment, are 0F/40F - but the panel is reporting -8F/45F. This smells like a thermistor and/or main board issue to me - based on what I've read here. I am looking through the parts exploded views to try and figure out how to access the evaporator. Will try again in the morning. Thank you!

jimaguiar

Premium Member
No. I went to start taking the freezer apart from the inside and my toddler was ... not happy. Haven't had a chance to find the evaporator yet.

rickgburton

Staff member
Remove the evaporator fan

Remove 8 screws and freezer ceiling panel.

Remove Styrofoam insulation from the bottom of the evaporator drain pan.
Snapshot_8.jpg

Loosen evaporator drain hose clamp.
Snapshot_9.jpg

Lower left side of evaporator drain pan and slide right side out of drain hose and remove.
Snapshot_10.jpg

jimaguiar

Premium Member
Thank you for the assistance!!

I replaced the main board, let it sit overnight without power, took the freezer apart, did a defrost, put everything back together and we are 36 hours in to proper temps and ice being made.

I taped up my ice chute - I believe that was the primary cause of the issue, the ice chute leaks warm air into the freezer. I replaced all mechanisms of the ice chute twice - the flap, spring, actuator. It is still showing frost in the chute. So, taped closed now. I would rather go without access to ice via the door than replace the refrigerator!!

jimaguiar

Premium Member
Uggg. Perhaps I celebrated too quickly.

My guess it the evap fan in the freezer sounds like it is hitting something (ice?) and there is condensate in the refrigerator that has frozen.

Everything is at temp, but the evap fan grinding just started and I am NOT HAPPY!!!

Attachments

• evap fan.jpg
    evap fan.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 11

jimaguiar

Premium Member
Rick, you don't happen to have family in New England? I can't get you out to take a look while on holiday? :)

I have since had a GE guy out who plugged in to the board and ran through some diagnostics. Aside from one fan showing an RPM issue, everything came up green.

My wife has resigned to the fact that we got 10+ years out of this unit and we need to plan to replace it with a Subzero or something similar that will keep our food fresher and make it easier to find service.

There aren't many moving parts here, it feels like this should be easy!? Why does everyone seem to avoid these build-in monograms like the plague?

jimaguiar

Premium Member
The fan has been replaced three or four times in the last three years. It has to be something else, right?

jimaguiar

Premium Member
Interesting. I assumed the RPM issue was because it was getting impeded by ice. I'll try another fan! :)

jimaguiar

Premium Member
It is. I can hear it turn on and off - it responded to the diagnostics too. It was working fine then you, after a while, can hear the fan blades hitting something - I am assuming it is ice.

rickgburton

Staff member
Leave the machine plugged in and running and remove the evaporator cover. Take a pic of the frost pattern on the evaporator coils and post it here.