FIXED ZISS420DRCS Water leak at top of GE built-in refrigerator

miketyler

Premium Member
Model Number
ZISS420DRCS
Brand
GE
Hello everyone - Hope you can help me

Our builtin GE fridge leaks water at the top RH side of the unit. Lifting the door it looks to be coming from the plastic holding pan beneath the compressor. It appears that a leak may have formed around one of the mount studs that the compressor sits on. Water leaks quickly out the front of this plastic pan when water is manually poured into the tray. I'd guess the compressor must be raised up to replace this.

Seems like a flawed design to have the compressor mounted to a cheap plastic tray held in place by rails on either side.

Any tips on tackling this one?

Attachments

miketyler

Premium Member
So highlighted is the plastic tray that I believe has a crack or hole in it. I'm guessing its probably at the base of one of the posts that the compressor sits on. GE calls it a "Pan Sleeve" WR17X11804 and appears to no longer be available. I guess its going to require removal and some epoxy?

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mike,

Yes, GE calls that your vaporizer pan, but I'm not sure why water would be in it, I know your compressor mounts on top of your refrigerator since its built-in, but I have never seen that vaporizer pan underneath the compressor before, I will ask Rick if he has.

Here it is #711:
WR17X11924 Vaporizer Pan Ss Kit

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Yes, it's for the accumulator. When the compressor changes speed you temporarily get liquid refrigerant out of the evaporator. The accumulator holds the liquid refrigerant and keeps it from entering the suction line but lets the gas pass through it. Within a couple minutes after the compressor speed transition the system becomes stable and the liquid refrigerant in the accumulator vaporizes. It's actually working like a mini evaporator and it frosts over. When all the liquid refrigerant has vaporized the frost melts.

miketyler

Premium Member
@Jake - there's a hose that comes from the freezer chamber on the left that empties condensation to it. It also has a plastic back flow valve with rubber flapper to keep water from washing back up into the tube.

@ Rick - Presumably the heat from the compressor will evaporate the condensate that settles in the plastic tray. I was looking at removing the compressor retainer clips last night and then noticed the crack in the front right corner of the plastic tray. I cleaned the front and back sides and mixed up the best epoxy I have and let it run down the crack on either side. I may still have to remove this but thought it was worth a shot given the effort it will take to replace it. Due to the water leaking its rusted the metal vaporizer pan the tray sits in.

It looks like they may have revised the design and discarded the plastic tray now? The replacement part appears to consist of only the vaporizer metal pan. Given it's name "Vaporizer Pan Ss Kit" maybe the revised part is made from stainless now?

Attachments

Last edited:

miketyler

Premium Member
The epoxy should work fine. It's not that much water.
Tell my wife that...it drips all along the top of the main door when you open it. After the epoxy set I tested it and looks like I have another leak near the back of the tray. :wall:

miketyler

Premium Member
I think I may pull it and fabricate a stainless tray for it. Any tips on how to elevate the compressor to get the existing part out?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Be careful not to kink the refrigerant lines or it's game over.

Remove the grille panel by removing 2 screws from each side:
ZISS420-1.jpg

Remove the wire guard and rocker switch panel.

Remove the condenser baffle.

Loosen the Front 7/16" track bolts (1 on each side of the compressor) from the front of the chassis track.
ZISS420-2.jpg

Remove the rear 7/16" track bolts (1 on each side of the compressor) and the spacers under the rear of the chassis track.

Pull the chassis forward until it reaches the stops in the tracks, working the refrigeration tubing as you pull the chassis out.

When sliding the chassis back into position, be certain the lines and wiring have not fallen behind the chassis

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick for helping Mike out on this one.:)

Jake

miketyler

Premium Member
Thanks for the info Rick! I hadn't realized that the slotted holes were there to allow the chassis to slide out. I'm unsure how I'll proceed but I definitely know the root cause and my options to fix now.

miketyler

Premium Member
I finally got around to doing something with this. I had originally planned to pull the tray assy and try to fix it but its in sad shape and I had zero confidence in sealing around the compressor posts. So much for being the "Fixit" hero. I plan to order the improved stainless part now. :encouragement:

BTW, I have a whole new level of appreciation for the work you guys do. This was not an easy part to get out. I would not look forward to doing this in a customers home.

Attachments