• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ZISS420DXBSS GE Monogram Refrigerator - No water to Ice Maker - New Ice maker and Solenoids

Leif penrose

Premium Member
Model Number
ZISS420DXBSS
Brand
GE
New to us used GE Monogram - Both sides are the right temp. There is water to the door dispenser. No water to the Ice maker. I replaced the Ice Maker and the solenoids. I used an air compressor to confirm no occlusion from the solenoid to the water outlet. I put water into the ice tray manually and it froze but did not cycle the cubes out. The ice maker is turned on. Whatever is supposed to tell the water solenoid to open and the ice maker to cycle is not working. ? Control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What's the temperature in the freezer? The ice maker will NOT cycle own its own unless its constantly between 0 to 10 degrees in the freezer at all times.

Put a freezer thermometer in the freezer and let us know what it reads. The Red-Liquid or Digital freezer thermometers are the best to buy, most stores sell them for about $10 and last a lifetime.:)

Jake

Leif penrose

Premium Member
Jake,

We had bought a couple of portable thermometer gauges when we had our older troublesome unit. The temp on the Fresh side is 36 and the temp on the Freezer side is -3. (As reported by both the fridge sensor and the portable temp gauges). We are changing the temp on the Freezer side to 0 to see if that fixes the issue.

Leif

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
-3 is good for the freezer.

Now lets test the ice maker.

Here's the ice maker for your model: WR30X10093 Electromechanical Icemaker Kit

Do you know how to force the ice maker to cycle? If not, on the OLDER ICE MAKERS they have a gear in the middle once you remove the front ice maker cover, turn that gear CLOCKWISE slowly till it starts to cycle on its own, then it will put water in towards the end of the cycle.

If you have the NEWER style with the switch on it:

--->Turn the switch OFF, then ON, then hit the feeler arm three times in 15 secs to force a cycle.

Let us know what happens.

Jake

Leif penrose

Premium Member
Jake,

What do you mean by "hit the feeler arm"? I can rotate the blades which moves the arm out and back, but otherwise, , , when I turn to the on position, there is less than a cm of movement.

Is there any way to "test" the old ice maker to be sure it's truly bad? The plug has six receptacles, only four of them have wires. only one set has any voltage, , , 120V. I'm assuming that the one that has no voltage receives a signal from the ice maker to send water.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What do you mean by "hit the feeler arm"?
Push the feeler arm from the “out” position to the “in” position and back again 3 times and only 3 times within 15 seconds.

Is there any way to "test" the old ice maker to be sure it's truly bad?
On the OLDER ICE MAKERS they have a gear in the middle once you remove the front ice maker cover, turn that gear CLOCKWISE slowly till it starts to cycle on its own, then it will put water in towards the end of the cycle.

On the NEWER ICE MAKERS:
It should fill for about 5 seconds. It should have good water flow into the ice maker.

Disconnect the two wire connector on the ice maker solenoid on the water valve and insert your meter leads, one in each wire. Force cycle the ice maker and check how long the 120 VAC is applied to the solenoid. In test mode it's about five seconds. If the fill time is correct the water valve solenoid might be sticking open after the voltage is removed. This happens when the water valve is starting to fail. During the first 15 seconds that power is first applied to the ice maker, the Service Diagnostic Test mode may be entered.

The service mode is entered by pushing the feeler arm from the “out” position to the “in” position and back again 3 times and only 3 times within 15 seconds. The service diagnostic mode consists of a harvest cycle followed by a water fill. The harvest cycle is entered immediately, regardless of ice maker temperature or arm position. While in the harvest cycle in the service mode, the heater will remain on for a minimum of 20 seconds. The water fill cycle will initiate the first fill (5.1 seconds) without waiting for the mold to “prechill”. Only one water fill occurs during the service mode, whether the thermistor has reached 39.2°F (4°C) or not. The ice maker will exit the service diagnostic test on its own and enter the normal freeze cycle.

Jake

Leif penrose

Premium Member
Jake,

The OEM part arrived and is installed. No action or water. I turned it off when I initially plugged it in and then once all installed turned it on, nada. I pressed the swing arm 3x in less than 15 seconds, no bueno. I took off the cover plate and was able to turn off and then turn back on and rotate the assembly with the Philips screw driver 3 rotations in 15 seconds (the arm swung out and back 3x), zip. There is no message going to the solenoid that sends water to the icemaker in the freezer. There is water to the door.

:-( bummed, , , Leif

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then you possibly have a short in your wiring to the ice maker.

I don't have the wiring diagram for this model, but if I remember correctly its the brown and the orange wires from the ice maker, check for 120 volts where the brown and orange plug in.

Jake

Leif penrose

Premium Member
The plug receptacle is a female 6 pin. With the ice maker unplugged, the two pins closest to the wall have 120v the center two have no wires. The two toward the middle of the box have no voltage. I found this in a technical manual.

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Wiring Diagram.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 31-9091_ge_monogram_side-by-side_refrigerator.pdf
    973.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Icemaker Service Manual.pdf
    611.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Leif penrose

Premium Member
Jake,

I think I found the problem the receptacle for the icemaker plug in the freezer compartment had one of the pins gone. When I stuck the tester into the the receiver, the probe went down to the bottom, past the missing internal post and made contact with the brown wire. However, when the plug was connected, it did not hit the bottom. I took the wiring loom out and connected the plug to the loom and tested continuity from the beginning of the loom to the termination inside the ice maker. The white had continuity, the brown did not. Until I took it apart, I could not see that the post for the brown wire was gone.

Attachments

• IMG_3099.JPG
    IMG_3099.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 43

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
BINGO!!! You found it! Great news!

But I couldn't locate that wire harness on your parts diagram, so you will need to see if you can get a new wire that same spade, or direct wire it, bypassing that spade altogether.

Jake

Leif penrose

Premium Member
Jake,

I took the damaged wiring loom to an electronic shop and they replaced the damaged pin. I connected the repaired loom to the OEM replacement icemaker and confirmed continuity through both the brown and white wires. I installed the icemaker and when I plugged into the freezer water finally flowed through the delivery tube. I turned off the icemaker and finished re-installing all of the ancillary parts. Once all was back I turned on the icemaker and bumped the swing arm 3 times, , , Nada. I confirmed 120 V to the Icemaker. I rotated the arm and at some point got a single dispensing of water. In the morning there was a single dispensing of ice into bucket but no refill of the water and no subsequent processing of ice last night or today. This morning I unplugged the refrigerator for 60 seconds and re-plugged (I had read that sometimes that will reset the electronics). I've turned off the ice maker and then turned it back on and tried the 3 times tap on the swing arm. ??? Feels like I'm just a step or two away from getting it really going but I'm still stuck.

Leif

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Leif,

Something else must be causing this problem, I will ask Rick if he might know.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If you have 120 VAC across the brown wire and the orange wire at the ice maker and the ice maker won't cycle, bad ice maker.