• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ZISS480DPSS GE Monogram Ice Maker Technical Manual

SimonDad

Premium Member
Model Number
ZISS480DPSS
Brand
GE
I am seeking a technical and/or training manual for the factory ice maker in a Monogram ZISS480DPSS 48" built-in fridge.

On another thread, a person posted a link to a "Technical Service Guide" dated year 2000 for a GE "Electronic Ice Maker". The document described an ice maker very similar to mine, but with a few differences (namely it had a physical on/off switch and a diagnostic LED). The manual was very informative, but the 20-year difference in equipment age concerns me.

Is a newer version of such a manual available?

Here is the thread that contained the manual link:

Here is the manual link in the thread:

I have a 10-month-old ZISS480DPSS, and am on my third ice maker, all courtesy of Monogram warranty. None of the units have produced ice in a meaningful quantity (also the ice is generally mis-shaped and bridged together, even after repeated levelling). The folks at the Monogram 800 number are responsive, but all they do is send the repair guy, who orders a new ice maker and installs it, always with the same problems. I just want to understand the ice maker myself. It seems like a design problem, unless the problem is with the fridge itself. We are trying to escalate this within Monogram, but I not hopeful. It is looking like I'm going to buy a separate fridge or ice maker and put it in the garage, just so I can have ice. Very annoying for a $10k fridge.

I am also considering using a 3rd party ice maker, in the hopes it would produce more/better ice. Appliancepartspros.com says this unit is compatible --
WR30X10093 Electromechanical Icemaker Kit
But, I am wondering if is truly compatible, and am concerned that installing it may void my Monogram warranty.

All advice/info appreciated.
Mark

Hi Mark,

Your missing a digit in your model number.

ZISS480DPBSS
ZISS480DPESS

What's the part number of the ice maker GE has been installing?

I show this one for both of those models: Icemaker with 2 Piece Fill Cup WR30X40072
Hi Jake -- thank you very much for the reply, sorry for the delay in responding.

The Model number I listed is the one from my purchase receipt. When I look at the sticker on the fridge itself, it shows the "B" version --
Model -- ZISS480DPBSS
S/N -- RS030933

Unfortunately I have not retained the packaging on the Ice Makers that GE has been installing. The product sticker is on the "back" of the device, and I can only see it by disconnecting it from the freezer sidewall, which I am hesitant to do at this point. However, I kept the first Ice Maker they removed from the fridge, attached is a photo of that product sticker -- it shows "Model" but not "Part number" --
Model -- FDI1017
S/N -- 2101061C0131

I recall looking at the newest Ice Maker they installed, and my recollection is that its sticker was the same, except the "DR NO." ended in something like G004 or G005 instead of G002 --
Original one -- "DR NO. 245D2519G002"

I really appreciate your suggestion regarding a compatible Ice Maker, but when I go to the one in your post (WR30X40072) and perform a "compatibility check", it returns "Not Compatible", see screen shot please. The one it shows in the parts list for ZISS480DPBSS is WR30X10093, also shown in an attached screen shot.

Is it possible to get a copy of technical / training documents for these Ice Makers, or is that info typically restricted to GE employees?

Thanks again for your time and help.

Ice Maker compatability check 1.jpg Ice Maker compatability check 2.jpg IMG_7816.jpg

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Ice Maker compatability check 1.jpg

What is ZISSDPBSS? You said the model number is ZISS480DPBSS

AppliancePartsPros doesn't even look to have a parts list for model ZISS480DPBSS (likely too new of model) so it's doubtful their compatibility tool would even be able to work for it.

I looked it up and it calls for icemaker # WR30X32701 which APP currently substitutes to # WR30X40072 as Jake linked to.

JFYI

Dan O.

Hi Dan -- thanks for the correction -- apologies, yes I accidentally omitted the 480 when entering the Model number. I tried it again using the correct model number, and I am just now noticing the message (in red circle) on Appliancepartspros.com saying "may not be for your model". However, when I review the list of "Matching Model Numbers" (blue circle) there are no xxxxxxxDPxxxxx models listed at all -- it jumps from ZISS480DMD to ZISS480DRASS, I assume this is what you mean about that website not even recognizing my model number(?).
When you note "I looked it up....", how do you do that, is there a public data source available to amateurs?
Thanks again.
Mark

Ice Maker compatability check 2a.jpg

There are services available for trade professionals. It takes the various web sites a while to update their systems. I don't know what schedule they're on, monthly, quarterly? I found a current parts list for that model here:

LINK > GE ZISS480DPBSS Parts List

JFYI

Hi Jake -- thank you very much for the reply, sorry for the delay in responding.

The Model number I listed is the one from my purchase receipt. When I look at the sticker on the fridge itself, it shows the "B" version --
Model -- ZISS480DPBSS
S/N -- RS030933

Unfortunately I have not retained the packaging on the Ice Makers that GE has been installing. The product sticker is on the "back" of the device, and I can only see it by disconnecting it from the freezer sidewall, which I am hesitant to do at this point. However, I kept the first Ice Maker they removed from the fridge, attached is a photo of that product sticker -- it shows "Model" but not "Part number" --
Model -- FDI1017
S/N -- 2101061C0131

I recall looking at the newest Ice Maker they installed, and my recollection is that its sticker was the same, except the "DR NO." ended in something like G004 or G005 instead of G002 --
Original one -- "DR NO. 245D2519G002"

I really appreciate your suggestion regarding a compatible Ice Maker, but when I go to the one in your post (WR30X40072) and perform a "compatibility check", it returns "Not Compatible", see screen shot please. The one it shows in the parts list for ZISS480DPBSS is WR30X10093, also shown in an attached screen shot.

Is it possible to get a copy of technical / training documents for these Ice Makers, or is that info typically restricted to GE employees?

Thanks again for your time and help.View attachment 72883View attachment 72884View attachment 72885
Mark
I have the exact same ice maker. My issue is it stays on full status even though it is empty. Did you find parts?

I have the exact same ice maker. My issue is it stays on full status even though it is empty. Did you find parts?
I was seeking a technical manual, not parts. I never found a manual. I gave up, and instead purchased a $750 Frigidaire refrigerator that I put in my garage. It makes lots and lots of perfect ice. The ice maker is engineered differently, and much better than the Monogram. Once every few days I dump a bin of ice from the Frigidaire into the Monogram bin, and that works for us.

It sounds like your ice maker is faulty, and GE will replace it if still under warranty. Because they replaced my first two units, I had a couple of "spares" to experiment with. If you remove the plastic cap on the end of the unit you will see a board. Behind that board is a cam mechanism attached to the swing arm. The swing arm extends during each dump cycle to determine if the bin is full. The cam mechanism has a metal tip which passes by some kind of proximity switch on the board (magnetic?). My units were designed or manufactured poorly, such that the metal tip just BARELY triggered the switch. If the metal tip does not trigger the switch, the unit thinks the bin is full (status you can observe on the GE App) and a dump cycle will not be triggered. On the bottom of the swing arm is a triangular tab which controls how far the metal tip travels. I actually shaved the plastic tab down on one of my units (getting the tip closer to the switch) to improve how the switch operated. I did this in case part of my problem was that the switch sometimes failed to trigger, making the unit think it was full, but this did not improve things for me. As an experiment you might try gently pulling the swing arm away from the ice maker (toward the empty bin). My recollection is this will move the metal tip closer to the switch, and it might trigger the switch, indicating the bin is not full. You can watch this status on the App.

GE should be ashamed of using such a crappy ice maker in any of their refrigerators, much less a supposed top-end Monogram.

Good luck.

I was seeking a technical manual, not parts. I never found a manual. I gave up, and instead purchased a $750 Frigidaire refrigerator that I put in my garage. It makes lots and lots of perfect ice. The ice maker is engineered differently, and much better than the Monogram. Once every few days I dump a bin of ice from the Frigidaire into the Monogram bin, and that works for us.

It sounds like your ice maker is faulty, and GE will replace it if still under warranty. Because they replaced my first two units, I had a couple of "spares" to experiment with. If you remove the plastic cap on the end of the unit you will see a board. Behind that board is a cam mechanism attached to the swing arm. The swing arm extends during each dump cycle to determine if the bin is full. The cam mechanism has a metal tip which passes by some kind of proximity switch on the board (magnetic?). My units were designed or manufactured poorly, such that the metal tip just BARELY triggered the switch. If the metal tip does not trigger the switch, the unit thinks the bin is full (status you can observe on the GE App) and a dump cycle will not be triggered. On the bottom of the swing arm is a triangular tab which controls how far the metal tip travels. I actually shaved the plastic tab down on one of my units (getting the tip closer to the switch) to improve how the switch operated. I did this in case part of my problem was that the switch sometimes failed to trigger, making the unit think it was full, but this did not improve things for me. As an experiment you might try gently pulling the swing arm away from the ice maker (toward the empty bin). My recollection is this will move the metal tip closer to the switch, and it might trigger the switch, indicating the bin is not full. You can watch this status on the App.

GE should be ashamed of using such a crappy ice maker in any of their refrigerators, much less a supposed top-end Monogram.

Good luck.
Yeah, I tore it apart to check out the sensor mechanism. It appeared if anything the magnet was possibly too strong because being not full the magnet is further away from the sensor or the sensor on the board is bad. I scheduled a warranty repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Support Our Site

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation, please consider making a donation.

Back