• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED ZISS48DCASS GE Monogram Refrigerator - Ice Grinder Freezing Up

Cameron5757

Premium Member
Model Number
ZISS48DCASS
Brand
GE
Ice is freezing solid around the spinning blades that chop up the ice. The blades will not spin. The flapper door from the dispenser closes most of the way but not all, there's about a 1/2" gap. My theory is that warm air is entering the freezer there and causing the ice to melt then freeze again. When this has happened before I empty the ice, clean it all out, make new ice and all is well for a few days. Then it happens again. What is the recommended course of action? Can I replace the flapper or do I need to replace the whole ice/water dispenser? Or could it be something else? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Cameron,

The ice door spring holds the ice door closed....spring ok?, arm ok?, flap door ok?...something warped? When you click the part links below you will see a video of how to access them. Let us know what you find.

Here's the ice door with seal for your model:
WR17X11653 Ice Door Assembly

Here's the ice door spring for your model:
WR2X8663 Ice Door Spring

Here's the ice door arm for your model:
WR17X3089 Ice Door Arm

Jake

Cameron5757

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. It all looks good to me, and at the moment it's closed up nicely, but much of the time it's open about a half inch. So I've ordered replacements of the parts you show and the solenoid to make sure. It's a cheap fix to try.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good Cameron,

I going to mention the ice door dispenser solenoid too, but usually when that goes bad it will not open the door and just make a buzzing sound.:)

But I've also seen them get rusty and that's a sign its on its way out, so its good that you ordered that too.:)

Here is the ice door dispenser solenoid for your model(Video Included):
WR62X107 Solenoid Assembly

Let us know how it goes,

Jake

Cameron5757

Premium Member
Jake, I got it all working, thanks. Now the motor that turns the screw (to push the ice out) seems to be failing. Usually I can turn it by hand. I took it out for the night and then I could spin it. I put it back in and it worked for a while, not it's solid again. Do these things freeze up? I'd like to get a new one but want to make sure it won't do the same thing. What do you think?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I got it all working, thanks.
Excellent Cameron, glad to hear that.(y)

Now the motor that turns the screw (to push the ice out) seems to be failing. Usually I can turn it by hand. I took it out for the night and then I could spin it. I put it back in and it worked for a while, not it's solid again. Do these things freeze up?
They make a auger motor boot kit to keep it from freezing up.

Here it is:
WR02X11295

Jake

Cameron5757

Premium Member
Jake, this fridge is getting old. Now I need Control WR9X588 and your site says it's no longer made by the manufacturer. Any thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What about the auger motor boot?

The Control is no longer available:

You can try ebay or buy a new refrigerator. If you try ebay make sure you can get a full refund if it doesn't work. Lots of parts on ebay come defective.

Jake

Cameron5757

Premium Member
Motor boot not installed yet because I also ordered the metal housing it mounts in (mine is rusty). Should be here soon. New fridge is $12,000, trying to avoid that. I'll try Ebay. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Cameron sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake

Cameron5757

Premium Member
Do you think the freeze control can be rebuilt? Often these parts are quite simple when you open them up. It's crazy to think I have to buy a new fridge because of this one part. Could it have corrosion on the surface or something? I haven't been able to find one on eBay, at least not with the exact same part number. Any guidance you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know if it can be re-built or not, also I'm not sure if it has corrosion on it either. Sorry can't be much help here.

Jake